Advice on beginner video kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluechub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for some advice on a beginner video kit, something with a low learning curve and high satisfaction. I have read about the GoPro Hero 2 but also saw a kit with the Ikelite JVC Picsio GC-WP10A that seems nice. I have to say that I don't like that you need to add the screen module to the Hero2 to get goos aim. Any direct experience with these or other packages? I am pretty proficient with video/still, only I would try to minimize the complexity underwater (at least at the beginning).

Any input is deeply appreciated.

Sounds like your very new to diving, best thing to do is get a few dives under your belt before adding more task loading to yourself before your comfortable with the skills needed to dive safely.

The only type of video setup I would say is ok for a beginner is any setup that can be used hands free as in a gopro or other action cam type setups head mounted. Any standard camera setup which you will need your hands to operate is not a good idea for new divers until you have control of your bouyancy and basic skills become second nature.

At that point you may want to try a handheld camera setup but not beforehand. Firstly you wont get very good camera shots due to lack of stability and you are putting yourself at risk due to the extra task loading.

Hi Marty, thanks for the input. I already did video last year while diving in the FL Keys, with a point and shoot with a dedicated housing, however the lack of a video light and a color correcting filter produced just so-so results (although it is great to have it in the collection of family activities). Thanks for the links to your videos, they are a great resource.

My wife bought me the GoPro Hero 2 , and I added Aquapro's Blurfix and CY filter. Just got back from Roatan and I am very very pleased so far. Best Xmas present my wife ever got me. I bought a strap, attached it to my BC, handheld it and it was super easy. This was my first attempt at either photo or video while diving.

@irishtn,
I just got the GoPro 2 hero also and getting ready for a trip to Belize (we'll be going to Roatan - CocoView this Sept. also!). I'm curious, how did you strap it to your BC? Anxious to see some of your video also.

I bought a cool lanyard from Leisure Pro that worked awesome. Attached the metal ring to camera and bronze clip to BC. When I was getting in and out of boat, you can have it clipped so it only hangs about 6 inches. When you are ready, just unhook it, and the bungee cord stretches as much as you need. 36" Quick Release Coil Lanyard with Brass Clip and SS Split Ring
Vids are coming. Enjoy Belize. We went there last year and cant wait to go back.

irishtn,

Thanks, I am really curious too, because you have not used any video light. My other option is to add a video light to my current set up (a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 with a dedicated housing), however I don't know if it would be worth the expense or if instead I should jump to something that will allow to "grow" more. I have a trip to Grand Bahama in a few months and I am trying to get the gear set for then.

Here is a quick vid: Untitled on Vimeo

I have no idea how to correct the color yet. I bought Sony Vegas today but all I have learned so far is to add music.
But for me, its not bad, as I wasn't expecting Discovery Channel quality, just wanted to document my dives.
On the big screen, the 1080P is pretty impressive. So far I am very pleased. Vegas will help the color hopefully if I can figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom