Advice on beginner video kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishtn,

thanks for posting your video and congrats. I started using Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 Ultimate, seems simple but with room to grow. I am not familiar with Sony Vegas HD: is that the "gold standard" for video editing (equivalent to what Photoshop is for still)?

White is the starting point for all colors. If the color white is not true then all colors are not true. Gotta love a digital world! I'm a MAC user and don't use the applications mentioned so far. But there should be a feature that allows you to select an object in the clip and declare it as white. Then all colors should be closer to being true.

This an example of what I was trying to explain.
[video=youtube;-2_I3FlIMdE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2_I3FlIMdE[/video]

Here is the Plugin I use for UW video colour correction Red Giant - Products - Magic Bullet Colorista II This is by far the best software Iv seen to be able to do this. It can be very simple from a basic eye dropper auto white balance, click on something in the scene you know is white and it does all the magic for you. There are also many more advanced features in here and can do anything you would ever need in any way regarding colouring in video.

I use it with adobe premiere pro cs5.5 but I see the plugin works with most of the popular editors. A basic tip is to carry around something white like a slate and turn the camera on let it auto adjust for a few seconds then put it in the frame. You can use other things in the frame you know are white which I tend to do a fair bit as I forget to use a slate sometimes, even sand can be used at times but best results will be achieved with a slate or something similar. Just dont put the slate so close to the camera that it will block the light and darken the image this will force the camera to adjust exposure and when you take the slate away it will readjust again. I just have the slate on my wrist and make sure its in frame somewhere without effecting the overall lighting condition's of the general scene, you can then use these frames later to software balance easily.

With a gopro there is no manual WB option so that makes it a little harder as it all must be done in post and I find this only works well if you used a filter or lights if your much deeper then a few meters as otherwise the red channel is lacking enough information and trying to balance this may result in just noise from trying to amplify reds that aren't recorded. Also a long scene the balance may shift a bit through the scene so you may need to auto set the wb with some keyframes throughout whenever the lighting changes in the video.

Thank you both. I think the videos people make for these software programs are more helpful than the manual. I found a few others too that are helping somewhat. I might have to bring something like a slate cause I dont think I filmed anything that is actually white. But I will check it.

@irishtn - Taking a slate is a great solution. You can also use a buddies white scuba tank, White fins or even mother nature.... white sandy bottom. Also remember that white changes at different depths fairly quickly. Enjoy the dive and capture a few memories along the way!

Since I live in Chicago, my wife and I are planning on attending the Our World Underwater convention. They have an in-depth workshop on underwater video/picture editing I am planning on taking. Hopefully give me a starting point that I can build on with some books and manuals.

Video Editing 1: How to Get Started (OWU-107) - Our World Underwater

@irishtn - Taking a slate is a great solution. You can also use a buddies white scuba tank, White fins or even mother nature.... white sandy bottom. Also remember that white changes at different depths fairly quickly. Enjoy the dive and capture a few memories along the way!

Would it be completely ridiculous to put a 2 inch by 2inch square piece of bright white duct tape on one of my fins?

It doesnt matter what it is as long as you have something white to reference back to it can be anything. With the plugin that i use all you would need to do is make sure every so often you take a shot of your white object. Then when your editing it you just click the eye dropper on your white spot to balance the colours. I nearly bought some new fins the other day because they had a large white patch on them lol.

I think I will get myself a white writing slate for the next time. If nothing else, its very useful for communicating. On my recent trip to Kona, the dive leaders from Kona Honu all carried them and it was nice for pointing out stuff, or asking/answering questions such as when my wife stabbed herself in the leg with a sea urchin. (She was fine, just a nice black tattoo for a day, then pink spots for a few after that; the wet suit took the worst of it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom