Advice on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ponyfeathers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a voucher for a free 5 day cruise, and i can choose between Carnival and Royal Carribbean.

Does anyone have any preference for one or the other?

What about the number/quality of diving/snorkeling? Or food and service?

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Ponyfeathers

I have a voucher for a free 5 day cruise, and i can choose between Carnival and Royal Carribbean.

Does anyone have any preference for one or the other?

What about the number/quality of diving/snorkeling? Or food and service?

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Ponyfeathers

It would really depend on which ships you had to choose from and what itinerary the ship was doing. You might want to check out Cruise Critic's forums, as you get a lot of info about individual ships.

Carnival has been called the WalMart of the cruise industry and Royal Caribbean is a little more upscale. I think you can have a good time on either but check out the specific ships and itineraries. The Cruise Critic forum is a good suggestion. Have a good trip.

Those two lines are more alike than different. The biggest difference will be Carnival ships tend to be more garishly decorated while the RCL ships are just a little bit "classier" and perhaps a bit easier to navigate. Cabins on most RCL ships have a little nicer decoration, but cabins tend to be larger on Carnival.

You'll likely be happy on either line. The most important thing to consider is the diving quality of the itinerary.

Last edited:
thanks everyone. Im not sure which ships there are to choose from, because I'm not sure where we want to go yet, although probably definitely in the Carribbean and one that leaves from Tampa Florida.

Have been on RCL, have not been on Carnival, but have been on Princess which is owned by Carnival and is held out to be a higher level than Carnival.

On RCL, they don't charge you for rental gear you don't use. Princess does. On many RCL boats they have a real dive locker with equipment for sale. You can even try it out during the week and then decide whether you want to buy or not. The dive locker on Princess was a rack of slap straps and defog.

There were three instructors on our January 2009 RCL versus one on our Princess 2007trip.

The food was better on RCL than Princess. The rooms were about the same size.

Back
Top Bottom