Advice on first dive computer (Suunto Zoop?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filmguy123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for a good first dive computer that will take me through my first 50-100 dives... maybe more.

Thoughts on the Suunto Zoop? Or any other/better recommendations?

As someone new to diving, I am not sure what features I am missing out on with a start computer like this, or if it is worth investing in something higher end at this point or right off the bat. Though I would prefer to spend a little more up front VS having to upgrade within the first couple years of diving.

I plan to work towards my Master Scuba cert in the coming 2 years, and pursue underwater cinematography down the road once I gain more experience. I live in the PNW but will dive in various climates - hawaii and central america most easily, and likely Indonesia/Fiji/Thailand as well.

Thanks for help and advice!

The Zoop is a good place to start. They are reliable and cheap with Nitrox capability.

I like my Zoop. Good, easy and reliable. Like it on my wrist with a bungee mount.

There are many threads in this section regarding choosing a 1st computer, I'd like to think you have read some of them. As you can imagine, there are many different opinions

I like my Zoop. Good, easy and reliable. Like it on my wrist with a bungee mount.

Same here. Was recommended by my dive instructor. It's worked well for me so far. And even though the common opinion seems to be that it is conservative re NDL, I have never had to come up earlier than anyone else who was using a different computer on any dives I've done so far.

And I just finished an expensive vacation that one diver using a Suunto on air had to sit out some dives so his Suunto could have time out.
Not a problem on single tank dives. Big problem on multiple tank dives with short surface intervals. To some, it's a desirable safety feature, to others it's a royal pain.
As a newbie that will suck air for the first year it won't be an issue. As you get better and go on diving vacations you will likely notice it.

I agree with fmerkel on this one...............SUUNTO ZOOP is a great and cheap computor if you do not make multiple days/dives or dives that are too close or behond NDL.

I believe you would be better of with Uwatec/scubapro computor. Thay have a great way of calculating deco's.

Also, there ar cheap second hand computor that can be bought for the price of renting one for 2 weeks. this will allow you to buy one with abetter knowledge.

And I just finished an expensive vacation that one diver using a Suunto on air had to sit out some dives so his Suunto could have time out.
Not a problem on single tank dives. Big problem on multiple tank dives with short surface intervals. To some, it's a desirable safety feature, to others it's a royal pain.
As a newbie that will suck air for the first year it won't be an issue. As you get better and go on diving vacations you will likely notice it.

See my post, #4. Some people, like me, believe the choice of a decompression algorithm is important in dive computer selection. This topic has been hotly debated in the previous threads I alluded to.

Suunto, Mares, and Cressi all run proprietary RGBM decompression algorithms that are generally classified as conservative, Cressi being the most conservative. Shorter surface intervals and some other diving practices are penalized on subsequent dives. I have been diving the DSAT decompression algorithm (basis for PADI RDP) since 2002 for my recreational dives. There are many other decompression algorithms out there, I believe having some knowledge of them makes you a more informed consumer and will make it more likely that you will be satisfied by your dive computer purchase.

Looking for a good first dive computer that will take me through my first 50-100 dives... maybe more.

Thoughts on the Suunto Zoop? Or any other/better recommendations?

As someone new to diving, I am not sure what features I am missing out on with a start computer like this, or if it is worth investing in something higher end at this point or right off the bat. Though I would prefer to spend a little more up front VS having to upgrade within the first couple years of diving.

I plan to work towards my Master Scuba cert in the coming 2 years, and pursue underwater cinematography down the road once I gain more experience. I live in the PNW but will dive in various climates - hawaii and central america most easily, and likely Indonesia/Fiji/Thailand as well.

Thanks for help and advice!

There's really no "need" to get a Master Scuba cert unless you want it; Doesn't open any doors unless you are trying to go Pro.

Regarding the computer, a cheap entry level computer is only $150-250. I would just get a simple one now and upgrade to a more technical one later on if you need to. Then you can turn the cheap computer into a backup or gauge.

I would suggest you start playing around with simple video/photography as soon as you are comfortable with your buoyancy control. Something like a GoPro or similar. Keep it simple. Underwater video/photography equipment is very expensive and it's good to take your time developing your skills in parallel with your equipment.

I do plan to do multiple dives per day, most definitely. At least 2. In the fall I am planning a central america dive trip that may have up to 4 dives per day, depending on the day.

I am a newbie, so I will likely suck more air... but reading the sticky on the Suunto algorithm did have me concerned about the overly conservative figures, especially since I am relatively young (31) and in very good physical condition without much excess body fat at all.

I know this is hotly debated, but it's always hard to tell who the advice is geared for etc. It seems I can't swap a setting to make the Zoop LESS conservative? Is it possible to flash or hack the Suunto to change the algorithm?

Like others mentioned I don't need the higher end features until down the road, but I don't mind spending a little more to get an equally reliable computer with a more middle of the road algorithm.

(As for master scuba - it's more that I am very interested in the specialty training courses anyway, which would result in a master cert as it is. And, I do eventually want to go "pro" in the sense of freelance underwater cinema as a longer term goal).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom