Advice on first reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alter718

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. I've been searching this forum for a while and am blown away by the amount of knowledge available. I'm hoping for some advice on purchasing my first reg.

I'm going to do primarily warmer water travel diving but want the flexibility for cold water diving too (I'm drysuit certified). I'm of the opinion that it makes sense so spend a little more now quality down the road. I'm also interested in new gear (who doesn't like shiny new stuff?).
My conundrums are buy locally, or save a lot and buy online (from the UK). I initially was worried about the parts for life stuff but have read enough to convince me that it tends to be a bit of scam designed to encourage you to get into the shop for servicing far more often than is required. It's funny how parts for life is available in the US but doesn't exist pretty much anywhere else in the world. Hmm???
I've been leaning towards something from the following selection (purchased mail-order):
Apeks XL4 - travel friendly, cold-water, etc. (available for about $600 as a full set)
Aqualung Legend -similar to above (1 more HP port), similar price.

or these purchased locally:
Zeagle F8
Oceanic Delta 5

Any thoughts? I like the idea of supporting my local shops, after all who's going to fill your tanks, teach classes, etc.? But the price savings online might be significant.
Secondly, how much weight should I be giving to service availability down the road? Zeagle has great US coverage but clearly AL/Apeks have the edge internationally.

Sorry for the long inaugural post but I have lots of questions.

If you’re not taking advantage of free parts for life by buying new, why don’t you just buy used?

There’ s no real benefit to you for buying new except for maybe cosmetic appearance. However, it seems you do care about saving money though.

I'm fine buying used stuff that doesn't have things I can't see. So a reg, with its hidden parts, I'd prefer to start new. Also new toys are always fun. :)

I'm fine buying used stuff that doesn't have things I can't see. So a reg, with its hidden parts, I'd prefer to start new. Also new toys are always fun. :)
As soon as you use it it’s a used reg worth 30 to 60% less than you paid but new is cool.

Among the brands you've listed, Apeks, hands down. This is a HUGE area, so you'll get a million opinions.

But I'll repeat something I say every time this comes up: buy a brand you can get serviced easily. Either locally, with a shop you trust, or by mail with fast turnaround, again with a shop you trust.

Most everything else is secondary.

rsingler, thanks for the input. I agree with that sentiment entirely. I can get the Zeagle F8 from my LDS and serviced locally by someone I trust but it seems like their network of service people is pretty small compared to AL/Apeks. I'm assuming that since AL bought Apeks they will service their regs at most if not all locations.

Apeks is made there so has the cold water part handled. They also work really well in warm water (most regs do) Both Aoeks and Aqualung can be serviced by either dealer as both are owned by Air Liquide.

The lightest weight travel reg made is the Aqualung Mikron but the weight difference is ounces Acccording to what I've read the Apeks equivalent (Flight?) uses some proprietary parts that are harder to get.

On our side of the world there's a good deal on the previous Mikron model since there's a new 2018 version. Leisurepro has them if the price is good enough to justify shipping it.Also inquire about warranty coverage in the UK as Aqualung has the most restrictions of just about anyone.

I'd personally want a reg with 2 HP ports - one for a computer transmitter and the other for a backup SPG.

I almost bought a Legend once but now I'm an Atomic Aquatics devotee. 2 year/300 dive service interval on all their models and the $400(Z2) breathes the same as the $1600 model (T3) - the difference is the exotic metal used. For serious cold water use, they need to be sealed - it adds $40US to the service cost as they use Christolube and it's expensive. Diaphragm models like the Aqualung are inherently better in low temperatures out of the box as the diaphragm shields most of the moving parts.

Your Zeagle dealer may be able to service Atomic also now, both brands are owned by Huish Outdoors. I read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that Zeagle regs are now made in the Atomic factory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom