Advice on getting to CZM from CUN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverAmy

Prism2 CCR Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi. I am arriving in CUN on Friday eve, June 7, 2013 at 8:30 pm from MIA. The last ferry from Playa is at 10 pm, it is highly unlikely that we will make it. The last flight on Maya is at 8:20 pm, this seems impossible. Am I stuck crossing over to CZM the following morning, OR does someone know of an alternative method of getting to CZM from CUN?

Help please from my CZM savvy SB compatriots.

Enjoy your night in Playa del Carmen. La Matatena Hotel Playa del Carmen looks nice for $34, close to the ferry dock.

Enjoy your night in Playa del Carmen.

And some of us will be jealous that you did.

If you need to spend the night on the Yucatan, Puerto Morelos is about 15 min. from the Cancun airport, it's actually closer to the the airport than Cancun is.

If you need to spend the night on the Yucatan, Puerto Morelos is about 15 min. from the Cancun airport, it's actually closer to the the airport than Cancun is.
And perhaps more importantly, it's in the same direction from the CUN airport as are Playa del Carmen and Cozumel, while Cancun is the other way.

I would go with staying in Playa del Carmen over Puerto Morelos, as it would be only one bus/taxi/ground transportation ride.

if you are looking to stay closer to the airport, the Cancun Courtyard Marriott is pretty close by, though I think PDC is the better option.

The bus into downtown Cancun would run about $4.50 per person and there are a number of decent hotels you can stay in for around $30 dollars per night within 5 minutes walking distance from ADO bus station.The bus to Playa starts running around 6am and the cost is around $4.50 to get to the ferry.There is plenty to do in downtown Cancun and also some great restaurants and you would still be in early enough to enjoy them if you wanted to go out for awhile.
I love Cozumel but downtown Cancun is also a great place to spend an evening or so and see a little more of real Mexico.

1) Technically you could make the 1000 PM ferry but everything has to work in your favor. I have made it through immigration/customs in about five minutes but that was being first in line and no other flights ahead of me and carry-on luggage. So for most people the odds of making it would be on the low side. You would also have to use a private service such as

usa-transfers.com

2) The Courtyard Marriott is nice and they have free shuttle service.

Courtyard Cancun: Cancun Business Hotels

"Daily Complimentary Shuttle Service Airport-Hotel-Airport, from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m., after luggage claimed guest should call the hotel at 01800 0203373 or 2872200 to request it."

If I chose this option I would take the free shuttle to the Cancun airport the next day and then take the ADO bus to PDC. Some prefer a private transfer service.

3) The transportation by ADO bus to the downtown Cancun bus station is good. Buses at 830 PM, 915 PM, 1015 PM and 1100 PM. 52 pesos per person. 31 minute travel time.

4) What time is your return flight home? If early enough, you may need to consider staying on the mainland the night before unless there is a suitable Mayair flight that you would consider.

Last edited:
[snip]
4) What time is your return flight home? If early enough, you may need to consider staying on the mainland the night before unless there is a suitable Mayair flight that you would consider.

The flight home is at 11:45 am, we'll be fine. I figured the chances of making the 10 pm ferry are too slim to bother trying. I am inclined to spend the night in Playa, but might go with one of the other suggestions above. Mayair's rates were looking pretty prohibitive as an option.

Thanks, all, for your replies.

The flight home is at 11:45 am, we'll be fine. I figured the chances of making the 10 pm ferry are too slim to bother trying. I am inclined to spend the night in Playa, but might go with one of the other suggestions above. Mayair's rates were looking pretty prohibitive as an option.

Thanks, all, for your replies.

Don't price Mayair off the website, use the chat function and negotiate. I usually pay about 50ish, give or take, one way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom