Advice on purchasing a dive camera...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovetoscuba

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I will be going to St. Martin this July and want to buy a dive camera for the trip. I've narrow my choices down to two camera. The SeaLife DC800 and the SeaLife ReefMaster mini. I am not looking to win any photo contest or anything. Just a decent camera that will capture my underwater memories on photo and occasionally take some quality videos as well. I was wondering if the extra cost of the DC800($399) versus the ReefMaster mini($250) is necessary for my application. As I've stated, I am not looking to enter any photo contest or win anything. Please comment, thanks.

If you want to go with a Sealife system I would pony up the extra hundred bucks and get the Dc1000. The Dc800 is known for having some reliability and Quality Control issues. Then again if your gonna spend 500 bucks, there is a hell of a lot better cameras you can by.

Here's a good review for the best systems of any price range for 2009:
Underwater Camera Articles: Review: Best Underwater Point & Shoot Cameras for 2009

Agreed, you can blindly follow that article to suit your pocket!

I bought the Olympus 1030SW (10m waterproof without housing and shockproof 3m and some 100+kg) with the Olympus housing without strobe. I am very happy with it doing Macro Shots (Macro Mode + flash, also super macro mode and Super macro mode + LED available), wide mode (for underwater surroudings) do require a strobe tho, as you take the picture without flash (if you would flash for the wide mode too many back-scatters appear). 10MP. Very decent pictures while doing close-ups, very good battery life, in total I would rate it 8/10.

Check my pictures posted, they are all done with this camera.
Underwater Videography is not very good, can be used for basic videos to get an underwater impression, but definitely you need to buy a proper video camera with housing and strobes. BTW looking desperately for a good camera suggestion rite now on the Videography forum :)

Yours
G

If you want to go with a Sealife system I would pony up the extra hundred bucks and get the Dc1000. The Dc800 is known for having some reliability and Quality Control issues. Then again if your gonna spend 500 bucks, there is a hell of a lot better cameras you can by.

Here's a good review for the best systems of any price range for 2009:
Underwater Camera Articles: Review: Best Underwater Point & Shoot Cameras for 2009

that article only reviewed cameras that are available in backscatter.com
i can only comment on the budget point and shoots (since thats my niche) and i think the fe360 is not a very good choice

My DC800 locks up at random intervals. I cannot duplicate it at will so not much help with what causes it.

I have had others say the same thing.

If you buy one and it locks up, you just take the battery out and reinstall it. Kinda tough to do underwater so beware.

So, rab1412000, what are your recommendations for BUDGET UW point and shoots?

Canon SD series if you don't care to ever have manual controls.

Canon A series if you would like manual controls to at least be an option.

There are units in each option for pretty much every budget and they are excellent performers. I love mine and recently picked up two more A720s and Canon housings :)

My DC800 has not locked up. I have had it for about 9 months.

I'd recommend the Fuji F series.
I'm presently using the F50fd SE and have been very happy with the results.
I'd compare shots with any of the Nikon, Canon or Olympus P&S cameras the only feature it is missing is the RAW file handling ability. Fuji sensors just exhibit better color and lower noise.
You'll also find shutter lag of this series to be as good as any other P&S and better than most.
Fuji housings have double orings are rated to 130' and are priced right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom