Advice on where to go pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...but realize that "going pro" will affect your personal diving in a way that is not openly discussed in any DM or instructor training material.
As a pro, the things you say and the things you do even outside an instruction setting can have an impact on your liability. As a "non-pro" diver, you can pretty much make all the recommendations you want to other divers,
but as a "pro" you may incur liability from the things you share.

As a DM, I am much less likely to casually discuss certain aspects of diving, especially with strangers, due to the cloud of liability that exists.

Once one is certified as a "professional" their standard of care increases, and that standard does not go away necessarily if one lets their certification lapse.

-Z

Is this your personal opinion and advice to ‘pros’ ?

Are your recommendations grounded in fact?

Are you able to point to - cite - any cases where a ‘pro’ incurred liability due to casually offering advice in a non-teaching role?

Perhaps a case where a ‘non-status’ pro was sued?

Diving ‘fables’ are many, actual cities to verifiable cases are few.

Perhaps you are able to enlighten the unwashed non-pro divers?

Would all the dive theory content be covered in this online course? Dive Theory | PADI

Try this free resource Dive Theory Learning Center

Lots of online IDC theory for free You can of course buy a study course. I didn’t

The PADI course you quote does give you some credited towards IDC but not IE. I don’t know anyone who’s brought it though

the encyclopaedia of recreational diving (included in DM course

Taking Tec 40 will also give you lots of useful deco theory and make you a better diver too

I personally think it should be a mandatory gateway course for Instructors

Is Tec 40 a PADI course? Or is it done through another agency? At what point in ones diving progression would it be appropriate to take that course?

Is Tec 40 a PADI course? Or is it done through another agency? At what point in ones diving progression would it be appropriate to take that course?

Yes Tec 40 is PADI

PADI TEC 40

As to when - if you meet the entry requirements and have decent buoyancy then go find a good shop (preferably somewhere warm)

You'll be certed to 40m with max 10min deco on max 50% O2 If you want to bundle them up to Tec 50, that's fine. Tec 40 is where you learn all the base skills and theory which is relevant to Rec diving.

Try reaching out to @Gary_Ward at Deefa Diving in Carriacou he can give you lots of no obligation advice on the Tec and Pro courses

I just dove Santa Marta for the third time. I can confirm that many sprouting young dive masters are based here. The price per dive keeps these new instructors busy BUT BEWARE: the water is in high 60s and low 72s, which can get chilly!

As a newly qualified DM I have my "moment"

US lady, AoW certified in Hawaii 9 years previous with 50 dives needed Reactivate. Easy stuff just the basics, Reg mask and buoyancy skills. Everything went well until buoyancy and she couldn't do a basic 30 second hover. I tried all sorts of things, we spent 4 hours in the pool before "I gave up"

I booked the lady in the next day with one of my CD's - she spent another 4 hrs with this lady before she passed.

Ignore the ladies skill, I had a melt down in the dive centre at my inability to come up with other variations in order to communicate the principles. It really knocked me for six with self doubt especially as that time I was a tech diver with over 500 dives and 10 years experience.

What I learnt was that it takes time to build your tool box of teaching skills, and its an experience that i pass onto new Instructor candidates. If students "get it" it's easy, once you get students that struggle - either with concepts or with confidence, well that's when you "earn your money"
I can relate to your military training and no doubt experience over the years. You have no doubt had a variety of roles, in which you have had to become very proficient in a short space of time, sometimes having to be the SME (Subject Matter Expert) for the role.

Your adaptability and learning ethics will obviously serve you well, but as many have said pick your training center wisely, anyone (well almost anyone) can attain the certification, but it’s the extra knowledge you should crave, soaking it up with a hefty chunk of experience, which will ultimately lead to you being as proficient in this discipline as your Army roles.

BTW Go Navy 😜😉

Back
Top Bottom