Advice please- Sipidan/Kota Kinabalu/ Layang Layang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the best time to see hammerhead at LL is around May. We went there in June and only few of us saw ONE hammerhead. But we did see one big whaleshark though.
Overall NOT very impressed with the diving.
I was NOT impressed by Sipadan either but that was 15 yrs ago when there was no such thing as permit.

I was NOT impressed by Sipadan either but that was 15 yrs ago when there was no such thing as permit.
Sixteen-and-a-half years ago I stayed on the beach at Sipadan, with Borneo Divers. We saw schooling hammerheads, huge schools of barracuda and jacks, large schools of black snapper, blue-streaked fusiliers, purple anthias, etc., a lot of whitetip reef sharks, occasional gray reef sharks, so many turtles I stopped photographing them early in the week, and all the macro-life one expects on a healthy Indo-pacific reef. I was impressed.

Tell me about the sites that were impressing you back then.

I've been to both Layang Layang and Sipadan multiple times each. They are both good. Layang Layang is just one atoll that was landfilled to make a platform for a naval station on half of it. the rest of the "island" consists of just one resort and an airstrip. All of the diving is around the edges of the atoll or in the lagoon. The times I've been there, the marine life was prolific. I can't honestly say that Sipadan is better, but only that it's different for a number of reasons.

Sipadan has a larger area where diving is conducted once we factor in Sipadan itself, Mabul, Kapalai. Also there are numerous resorts to select from in different price ranges and comfort levels. Unfortunately, that also means lots and lots of divers! Layang Layang is still pretty isolated and protected from the mass abuse inflicted on the Sipadan area sites by thousands upon thousands of divers every year.

For Sipadan, whether to go to a resort or jump on the liveaboard probably depends on what your objectives are. If you want a guarantee that you'll do the maximum number of dives on Sipadan Island itself as you can possibly do, go on the liveaboard. But if you are happy with variety, go to a land-based resort. BTW, there are a couple of liveaboards that go to Layang Layang as well.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

BTW, if you go on the Divemaster to Layang Layang, Chris will clobber you - he greatly enjoyed diving with everyone from your Similans trip and specifically mentioned you! (I work with White Manta Diving but was not on your trip. Thanks very much for the Facebook recommendation).
:D It was a pleasure to recommend. We had a brilliant trip.

We can't get the dates we want on White Manta, so Layang Layang is on hold until next year.

whatever you do, don’t make Chris cross. :p
Tell him we are in the process of booking the Black Manta for Komodo in September. That should help us stay in his good books. :wink:

Hi Heg,

Why dont you just come over to Arung hayat Sipadan Adventures we are diving operator based on land in Mabul Island.

We are currently giving the best price for diving in Mabul, Kapalai and Siamil. We do arrange Sipadan dive.
Please look around into our website: www.sipadanadventures.com and email us for further information : sipadanadventures@gmail.com

Best regards,
Arung Hayat Sipadan Adventures.

Tell him we are in the process of booking the Black Manta for Komodo in September. That should help us stay in his good books. :wink:
I'll tell him and make sure he fogives you. :p You will love Komodo - pure magic.

Yes, All of September should still be excellent. I was last there at the end of August and conditions were perfect. They did get a fair bit of rain at the very beginning of October though so earlier in September may be better than the end.

Hi there - I read that Hammerhead season at Layang Layang is either march or May, but I have a feeling that maybe March is a little early. Can someone confirm whether this is the case. I would hate to go all that way and find out that I haven't come at the right time of the year.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom