Advice Re Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctorfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I currently shoot with a PEN EPL 10 in an AOI/Backscatter housing with a single Sea and Sea YS2 strobe. I shoot macro, standard and some wide angle.
My strobe burned out yesterday and I would like to replace. Any advice from users with a similar setup? I want to stay with a single wide angle capable strobe because of weight, cost, and ease of use.

FYI I use a crop sensor dslr.

Have you looked at the new backscatter miniflash 2? I have used the mini 1 and it was great for macro and the snoot was easy ...am not sure about its wide angle capabilities yet but for macro it rocks. I think they increased the power on the 2 as well. I am taking it on a trip next week to test it out. I used to use the Ys-d2's then moved to the Inon z330s and have really been happy with them (I had 3 Ys-d2s burn out).

Pass on a new S&S. Inon 330 is great, and I love the Backscatter. Getting one of each of these two is actually a good combo for all shooting options.

Pass on a new S&S. Inon 330 is great, and I love the Backscatter. Getting one of each of these two is actually a good combo for all shooting options.
Inon make a great strobe but be careful with the Oring when replacing batteries, I flooded one and it was stuffed, so I went back to SnS and all has been well.
I read somewhere here that the YS D2 can burn out if you run multiple shots on max output or with black enneloops. Did that happen to yours?

Inon make a great strobe but be careful with the Oring when replacing batteries, I flooded one and it was stuffed, so I went back to SnS and all has been well.
I read somewhere here that the YS D2 can burn out if you run multiple shots on max output or with black enneloops. Did that happen to yours?
I've never owned a S&S strobe. It's pretty difficult to punch the Inon oring as the cap is transparent.

I had a 330 and after about the 10th dive, I was in a hurry, when I put the cap on there was a very slight resistance and it flooded. On opening, the oring was pinched. I am fairly careful but this is easy to do. I use SnS now because you can flood them without destroying them. I was told it was similar in Inon but that is not the case.

Any chance you could fit a Retra within your budget? With a circular bulb, they produce a wider, more even beam than straight-bulb strobes, which is always good, but even moreso when you're shooting wide-angle with a single strobe rather than a pair.

They don't appear to suffer from the infamous reliability issues of the YS-D2 (and to a lesser extent the YS-D3), as they're made from metal and thus dissipate heat much better, the battery compartment on them is sealed away from the electronics, the battery cap has dual o-rings, and even if you do pinch one while closing, it is extremely obvious, as you have a black o-ring sticking out in the middle of a grey aluminium panel. They also have a leak detector, so in the unlikely case water does get into the battery compartment, the strobe will start blinking and beeping at you.

I'm now running a YSD2J + YSD3 Mk2 and recently added a BackScatter MiniStrobe (first model) to my SLR rig.

I've been using two BackScatter Mini Strobes with my TG6 for some time and used them with my SLR rig when I had YSD2 issues during my trips to Indonesia this year.

I recently decided to do some snooting with mixed results, and want to get this perfected before I return to Indonesia again next April/May.

My rig is now looking like this

full

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom