Advice / Recommendations for Coz in May ? New Divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've stayed at Secrets, Sabor, Occidental and Fiesta Americana. FA is the only resort we'd go back to (and have many times - only 25 more days to wait now). The food is just that much better than all the others we've tried. We often score a deal there, or at the sister resort Explorean (which has the added bonus of having one excursion included per day). The "beach" is ironshore which means decent snorkeling (far better than the other AIs I've stayed). They have large beds with mattresses overhanging the ocean which are awesome. Unlimited a la cartes and no reservations needed. Much closer to town than the southern AIs. 5 minute walk to the Money Bar for a change in pace (and live music many nights). Onsite dive OP (Dive House, I believe) but we use 3rd party dive ops - no silly pier fees like some of the other AIs are trying.

I stayed at an AI with a group once many years ago. I had some issue with the buffet one evening, couldn't find anyone to complain to, so boldly went back into the kitchen. They did not cook there. The food was shipped in from elsewhere.

For Cozumel, if a sandy walk in beach is important they are nice on the south and far north. However, since you want to dive I recommend the south as you will be closer to the reefs. I would also highly discourage AI resorts, and tell you to rent a private condo. Why? I hate AI food and the restaurants in town are AWESOME. As far as a dive op, I scuba with a private DM, but Dive With Martin is a great outfit.

You should definitely hire a private DM since it has been so long and maybe do a shore dive on day 1 just to get familiar again. I use Tres Pelicanos but if you don’t do a private DM I would not recommend them. They seem to cater to more experienced divers in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom