Advice requested: Packing scuba gear for air travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I overly worried about the regs? Should I just wrap up the regs in some clothing, sandwich them between the BCDs, and arrange our fins around them to provide protection from bumps and squishing?

Any scuba gear packing trips you'd like to share?

I think your regs would be fine either way, especially if cushioned well in your checked luggage. They are built tough.

I always pack: fins, wetsuit, BCD and misc stuff like SMB, reel, etc in my checked luggage. Nearly impossible to break that stuff from the luggage being tossed around.

Reg, masks, computers, camera go in my carry on. I only have a gopro, so I have plenty of space in my carryon backpack for my reg. Others need more space for their camera, so that changes the balance a little.

If you are concerned about crushing anything in the duffel bag like your regs just use a couple of those shoebox sized plastic storage containers and tape them shut. They weigh nothing and provide some rigid protection in your soft baggage.

Lithiums/rechargeable MUST be in carryon.

I agree, that's what TSA rules say. Funny thing coming back from Cozumel last month: one of my buddies had a small bag of alkaline batteries in his carryon. The security people confiscated it, said that no batteries of any kind were allowed in the carryon.

My first instinct was to try to explain to them that they were confused, and that the rule is no lithium batteries allowed in checked luggage. But of course I resisted. The only universal rule is that the rules are whatever the security people think the rules are.

Mask, regulator, computer, and anything else that fits in the carry-on on the way down, as much because of possible misdirected luggage as damage concerns. On the way back, more can go into checked luggage. Fins make great shields, as do BCs.

I agree, that's what TSA rules say. Funny thing coming back from Cozumel last month: one of my buddies had a small bag of alkaline batteries in his carryon. The security people confiscated it, said that no batteries of any kind were allowed in the carryon.

My first instinct was to try to explain to them that they were confused, and that the rule is no lithium batteries allowed in checked luggage. But of course I resisted. The only universal rule is that the rules are whatever the security people think the rules are.
Besides, they needed the batteries for their kid's toys and other stuff. Gringos can afford alkaline batteries.

Reactions: yle
Use what you have to help protect what you have,fins harden the sides, clothes under plus wetsuit for the reg, backplate on top (where the big metal thing can be checked easily if need be.)
03EF713C-9DCD-454C-9E16-6F6DBA0B5426.jpeg
DB10AE98-36FD-4E7E-82E6-B4A00FF32C29.jpeg

Besides, they needed the batteries for their kid's toys and other stuff. Gringos can afford alkaline batteries.

I know you're joking, but I'd much rather the confiscated items get used somehow instead of being thrown in the trash.

It was the misunderstanding of their own rules that bothered me, much more than losing the batteries.

i am not up on new regulations for batteries etc but we always put any spares or rechargables in our stowed luggage. they are in a ziploc bag with electrical tape around each one to prevent any shorting of the batteries. this is what used to be recommended. things may have changed but that is what we do.
Good thing you’re in Canada. Chances are I won’t be on the same flights with you.

Mask in carryon. When your luggage gets lost a mask that fits may be hard to buy or rent at your destination.

I also carry regs in carryon to the destination as I don’t want to dive rentals not because they are fragile. If you don’t care wetsuits make great padding and as others have said fins for side support.

Computer in carryon because I know how it works.

Have lost a camera port to luggage crush so I use a soft duffel with a small pelican type case inside for particularly fragile items like camera lens ports.

I packed the reg in checked suitcase (clothing around it, etc.). But, interesting thought about misdirected luggage.
I've heard some have worn their BC onto the plane to save luggage space. They charge an arm & a leg for everything nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom