Advice required: first time diving in FL, where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

truemetal

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to visit a customer in Boca Raton, so I booked my flight that I arrive two days earlier and I plan to go diving July 8-9. I have never been diving in Florida yet, so I am bit overwhelmed with all the possibilities. :) Should I try to go south to Key West, or the diving in Boca Raton/Fort Lauderdale is just as good? Any advices on particular dive spots?

all depends on how far you want to drive...IMO, Key West is total overkill; it's about 4 hours and the diving is not the best...Key Largo is only about 2 hours and the diving is pretty darn good....OTOH, there is lots of good diving between West Palm and Ft Lauderdale...I've only dove the E coast a handful of times, but I'm sure others will chime in w/ more specific suggestions for dive ops, etc..enjoy your trip!!!

Just hit the nearest water. Check out the boats on this board and pick one! Dude, you're in Florida. If you like the Keys, the heart of diving there seems to be a canal at mile marker 100. My fave is Scuba-Do.

I recommend Parrot Island Scuba out of Pompano Beach, but there are plenty of other great dive operators between Ft Lauderdale and West Palm. The most notable diving difference between the Boca Raton area and the Keys is drift diving vs. stationary moored boat diving. Almost all of your reef dives between Miami and West Palm are drift dives with a live boat. The current is usually less pronounced in the Keys so the boat is moored on the reef.
If you were staying longer, I would recommend doing most of your diving close to the Boca area and taking at least one day to check out Key Largo. Since you are diving for only 2 days, don't spend the time driving to and from Key Largo and enjoy the awesome diving in Boca Raton.

I personally like the West Palm Beach area. I will be there first week in July (leaving on the 8th). This will be my 4th trip to that area. Last year I stayed more in Ft. Lauderdale, dove with 2 different operators from that area, then dove with an operator out of Miami, then a charter in Tavinar. I still like WPB the best, but that is just me, it is all good down there!

diverhead.com:
I recommend Parrot Island Scuba out of Pompano Beach, but there are plenty of other great dive operators between Ft Lauderdale and West Palm. The most notable diving difference between the Boca Raton area and the Keys is drift diving vs. stationary moored boat diving. Almost all of your reef dives between Miami and West Palm are drift dives with a live boat. The current is usually less pronounced in the Keys so the boat is moored on the reef.
If you were staying longer, I would recommend doing most of your diving close to the Boca area and taking at least one day to check out Key Largo. Since you are diving for only 2 days, don't spend the time driving to and from Key Largo and enjoy the awesome diving in Boca Raton.

These guys are great. Jerry and his crew are top-notch. One great plus to them is they are very close to the cut into the ocean which gets you in the water faster than most dive ops around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom