Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafael

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
:06: I'm becoming more and more interested in this kind of diving discipline, i have done a few dives in wrecks only one penetration and this one was located in Cancun 85' 100+ viz, the other ones around my new home in Boston, MA. So as you can tell my level of expereince is not up there, i will be taking several classes this year focus in this kind of diving.

Could you please recomend me some reading material? Text books, Manuals, Videos, anything that you'll think will help me to built a better knowledge of this specialty.

Thank you on advance.
Regards,
-Raf

The 'new' TDI Advanced Wreck Diving manual is very good. Also get a subscription to Wreck Diving Magazine.

Thank you fin-in, What do you think about PADI training for Wreck Diving?

could I recommend doing a cavern class (at least) prior to your wreck class. And find a dive instructor that does actual penetartion dives.

GDI:
could I recommend doing a cavern class (at least) prior to your wreck class. And find a dive instructor that does actual penetartion dives.

Thanks GDI, i will love to do it, but the problem is, is not such a thing as a cave in the Massachusetts coast line, so that make it impossible for me to take that certification, now i will do it later on while in Mexico visiting my family.

If you want a good book on wreck diving with a New England focus, try picking up a copy of Complete Wreck Diving by Keats and Skerry. It's a good overview of techniques and equipment, and just a fun read.
The best way to learn is to get out there and do it, and there are plenty of wrecks in your area to see at all sorts of depths and conditions. Have fun!

ageddiver:
. . . The best way to learn is to get out there and do it, and there are plenty of wrecks in your area to see at all sorts of depths and conditions. Have fun!

Amen. Spoken like someone who has been doing those dives since before there were any certifications for "specialty" dives.

FWIW, another piece of advice; join a local club, one which has members doing the types of dives that you are interested in.

ageddiver:
If you want a good book on wreck diving with a New England focus, try picking up a copy of Complete Wreck Diving by Keats and Skerry. It's a good overview of techniques and equipment, and just a fun read. . . .

I was lucky enough to join a club in the early 90's which Mr. Skerry was a member of and cut my wreck diving teeth with many of the same divers that he dived with. I owe a great depth of gratitude to those guys that shared their knowledge and experience with me.

Not trying to diminish the importance of certs, BUT, experience can't be beat!

Good luck, and as was previously said; have fun!

Dennis

I'm agree with you, but you know how is now you need to own the c-card.
I dove for over 10 years without one, then i moved here and all my past experience mean nothing so know i had to start from Zero, which doesn't bother me since Cancun and Boston are two diferent kinds of diving that is for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom