Advise for a BCD

Which one would you choose?

• SEACSUB Sherpa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mares Prestige MRS Plus

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafeke

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good day community,
Im just starting on my diving and was looking to complete my basic equipment. I'm looking for any advise on 2 BCD with an integrated weight system which cost around the same money.

SEACSUB Sherpa (link)
Mares Prestige MRS Plus (link)

Can anyone advise me on the advantages or disadvantages and which one would you choose?
Thank you!!

Neither, haha! :)

Get a BP/W!

I was expecting that exact answer :rofl3:… just have 12 dives.. never tried BP/W and fell a bit scared abt it without trying first.
I was thinking on having one conventional and one bp/w once I get deeper into diving. Makes sense?
Thanks!

While I fortunately got a back inflate type (Zeagle Stilleto), after having dove for a fair bit now and seeing what is out there, I wish I had waited and got a BPW. It isn't something that I will ditch my present one for but......... if I had to do it over......

Some like the 'squeeze' you get with a BCD and it does make it easier on the surface to maintain the face up and out in a poodle jacket. There are just too many things you can take advantage of in a BPW setup - they are extremely flexible. The biggest disadvantage (IMHO so quench the flames y'all) is a lack of integrated pockets (oh the horror) which you can easily fix via pocketed dive shorts.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Stay on topic.

The OP has asked about two BCs. Answer only if you have experience with these two BCs. Some posts have been deleted for being off topic.

Neither, haha! :)

Get a BP/W!
That's not what the OP was asking about. On other forums, that kind of behavior is called threads****ing.

OP, while I don't know either of your alternatives particularly well (and I suspect that goes for most of the audience here), I can try to give some general advice:

The two BCDs look very similar. They're vests with a bladder that wraps around you and a handful of D-rings located roughly in the same places. Is there any difference in fit for you and your body shape/size? Are you able to try them on IRL to check that? Apart from fit, there are - IMO - just two or three things to think about here: Is the weight pocket release system reliable (both WRT accidental release, and deliberate release), inflator (qualty/ease of operation) and tank band(s). I prefer two bands for the tank, since there's less risk of the tank falling out.

I was expecting that exact answer :rofl3:… just have 12 dives.. never tried BP/W and fell a bit scared abt it without trying first.
I was thinking on having one conventional and one bp/w once I get deeper into diving. Makes sense?
Thanks!

A bp/w is just another type of BCD. It has straps, it holds the tank, it goes on your back, it has an inflator/deflator mechanism and a flexible bladder to hold the air. There are more similarities than differences.

I dive extensively in both a jacket and in a bp/w.

All of my technical diving, which is most of my diving outside of giving lessons, is done using a bp/w because I have to take a truck load of crap with me including twin tanks on my back and one or two under my arms. A jacket style bcd wasn't designed for that so it makes sense to use the bp/w instead.

All of my training dives are done in a jacket. This is a choice because my students are learning in jackets and it's my role to teach them to become familiar with THEIR gear.... ergo, I wear what they wear since I am their mirror. In this context I use a single tank, usually 15l for practical reasons but sometimes 10l.

I can safely say that in either configuration my buoyancy control is perfectly sorted. I find neither solution "better" or "worse" than the other. Both are perfectly ok when used in the context in which they are intended and if you saw me diving in either set up you would think I was born in it. In fact, and I've said this before, I think I could look good with the tank strapped to my back with rope and using old milk jugs to adjust my buoyancy.

This leads me to the thing that irritates me the most about these kinds of discussions. People (usually novice divers) who are adamant that a bp/w is "better" are making a value judgement that is inappropriate and incorrect. A BCD is a tool. There are many BCD's that are fit for purpose and a few that are not. What is important to understand is what the BCD was designed for and to account for how you intend to use it.

As for the suggestions we usually hear that you will dive better in a bp/w. That's complete and utter rubbish. I think I understand why some divers say that but the fact of the matter is that if your buoyancy control is sorted then it's sorted regardless of how your tank is held to your back.

R..

As for the suggestions we usually hear that you will dive better in a bp/w. That's complete and utter rubbish.
Never throw gear at a training issue.

Back
Top Bottom