Advise for diving in Anilao during July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smurfzzz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi... im looking to do diving in anilao in july. I understand its the monsoon season, may i ask if its still possible to have 3 dives a day? I read somewhere that diving might be cancel for days due to bad weather. Will appreciate if you can help me with the information.

That's correct. 3-4 dives a day is normal (3 day dives + a night dive if you want). If the weather is bad enough they will cancel diving. It happened to me when a typhoon went through, diving was cancelled for about 3 days and viz was terrible even after we went back in. Nobody can tell you whether diving will get cancelled during your trip as nobody can predict the weather like that. It's the risk you run on any dive trip.

Thanks for the review. What do u think of the visibility? Would it be better for me to go Malapascua instead?

The visibility is going to be terrible for at least a few days wherever a large storm system goes through - whether that be Anilao or Malapascua or anywhere else. Monsoon season is monsoon season. Nobody can predict if your trip will be affected or not. My trip got smashed by an out of season typhoon that hit both Malapascua and Anilao and affected the diving at both *shrug*

You're probably better off in Anilao to be honest, because it's pretty much macro/super macro diving and viz is less of a concern there. Malapascua is going to affect the quality of your dive experience more in poor viz.

Anilao is a macro destination so you head will be stuck in the reef/ sand most of the time, visibility is not so important for a destination like that. Like Wet pup said if a storm goes through then it's stirred up pretty bad for 3-4 days. Another good thing for Anilao is that its on the west side of the Philippines. the majority of the early storms effect the east side of the Philippines. It's usually October/ November when the storms go across the whole of the Philippines.

Thanks Wetpup. You are making so much sense about the vis and macro! The boat dive is expensive for solo travellers in Anilao, are the shore dives good enough or boat dives are HIGHLY recommend?

+1 on Buceo Anilao for fixed price diving. They are who I dive with :)

Have wrote in to them, but yet to receive their replies. I found this Anilao Photo Academy with extremely good reviews and resonable price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom