advise on a dive computer....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Putnam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im new and a beginner to the diving world. Im looking for a good beginner to middle of the road dive computer. Looking to spend up to about the $500 range. what a good one that will last me some time without having to replace it anytime soon. I will be just getting my open water dive cert for now. like to wear it on my wrist

Fortunately, there are quite a number of dive computers on the market which are great for both beginners and established divers, and which are available for less than $500. The Suunto Zoop and the Aqualung i300 are two that come to mind (mainly because I have used both at different times), on the less expensive end, but there are a number of others, as I said. Your profile suggest you are in Va Beach, so you might stop by Lynnhaven Dive Center (a Scubapro dealer) and see what they have. There are several models of the Gallileo that you might look at, although they move your outlay toward the upper end of your stated price range. Also, the Aladdin falls into your price and specification range. I am not 'pushing' these only giving examples as food for thought. There are also a number of other dive shops in the Norfolk - Va Beach area that you can visit to get information.

Last edited:
Be sure to do your research about the algorithm each brand/make of computer uses. Some are super conservative and will have you getting above 30' long before other computers.

Whatever you buy, make sure you take the time to understand how it works. I just returned from a liveaboard trip to Cocos Island on which several divers locked up their computers by accident because of not understanding some "safety" feature or another.

Last edited:
first big dive trip will be in 2018 spring break at BSA Seabase with my 16 year old son can't wait. I will have open water dive in a lake here in Virginia for my cert. I will have some time to learn the dive computer before then. Thanks for the info so far and keep the advice coming as I not set on what dive computer yet.

first big dive trip will be in 2018 spring break at BSA Seabase with my 16 year old son can't wait.
Good for you! You will have fun.
I will have open water dive in a lake here in Virginia for my cert.
Sounds like you are going to be heading to Lake Phoenix. :)

ok so i went above the cost i wanted to spend but got the Galileo Luna and it came with the transmitter. now to learn how to use it :)

My buddy has that computer and likes it. Did you get the transmitter? Did you get the heart rate monitor? Just wondering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom