Advise Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Why are you interested in solo diving?

R..

ohmdiver,

I think roturners response is far more than rhetorical. Its actually the most important question you need to ask and answer yourself.

You might want to also find out why the solo instructor dives solo and why he/she teaches it? Do the answers make sense to you?

Ask how well drilled you will be during the course on handling contingency situations? Will each contingency task be tested individually only or will you be multi tasked? Ask what level of performance are you expected to have to pass especially if multi tasking i.e. if you lose your regulator when dealing with a flooded mask are you expected to maintain depth within a range of + or - 2 feet?

I agree with the others: Carefully examine your motivations (and those of your instructor) for soloing. I consider machismo (I'm a bad-a$$), anti-social :)censored: 'em all), and thrill-seeking (yahoo) attitudes among the worst reasons; usually for these types, the only time they realize they've found their limits is when they're about to die. Soloing is a carefully calculated risk. But I'd guess none of these are your problem since you've bothered to ask here; good for you. "Not having/finding a capable buddy" is really, truly not a good reason; they're out there, you just haven't stumbled over one yet. Wanting to improve your self-sufficency and skills are good reasons to take a solo class. And my concern is purely selfish -- your dying or being crippled is bad manners for the reputation of the sport.

Beyond that, I'd ask about the syllabus, paying attention to the drills and standards you're expected to perform and how you'll be evaluated ("getting the idea" or "getting the hang of it" is not the same as "yeah, you got it, so do it again"). One trick question might be to ask how many people has this instructor failed. I'd check a lot further if the answer was "none".

If you just got your OW cert perhaps you should first go into some Advanced OW and rescue or something along those lines first. Also, if not already, get in shape and practice your water skills.
As to diving Solo, there are many reasons and none of them have to do with macho. Plain and simple, some people are by their nature are gregarious and some of us enjoy being alone. I have hiked, backpacked and all that solo. I certainly fly solo and I am Inst and Com rated with 3,500 hours. I also enjoy diving with my wife and friends and sometimes I enjoy diving with total strangers I meet on a dive boat BUT sometimes I want to be alone. Further, even when I do dive with a buddy, we often cruise along at some distance from one another (assuming he/she is also very self reliant) just having a good time and still you have a buddy to retale the tall tales to afterwards. Solo diving is not for everyone and should not be looked upon as a natural progression unless you are the type person that enjoys solitude and a certain freedom and self reliance that comes from being alone. It may be that in time you will have good reasons to go it alone. N

[U
]I think roturners response is far more than rhetorical. Its actually the most important question you need to ask and answer yourself.... [/U]

I have asked myself this alot over the last few monthes prior to posting it openly.

I agree with the others: Carefully examine your motivations (and those of your instructor) for soloing. I consider machismo (I'm a bad-a$$), anti-social :)censored: 'em all), and thrill-seeking (yahoo) attitudes...

You are correct none of these are my reasons.

"Not having/finding a capable buddy"

Again not really a problem I have. I belong to a local club and even though we are located in the Finger Lakes of Upstate New York we dive nearly year round.

Wanting to improve your self-sufficency and skills are good reasons to take a solo class. ...

I thought of this before, I can only imagine that some of , if not most of, will make me a better diver and dive buddy.

Solo diving is not for everyone and should not be looked upon as a natural progression unless you are the type person that enjoys solitude and a certain freedom and self reliance that comes from being alone. ...

Agreed. I do enjoy solitude in other activities of my life. I think in that respect, it may be a part of the reason why I am thinking of taking a solo course.

As far as my experiance, I have been diving for 5 years +, I get a bit of diving in by being a safety diver for some of my instructor friends, towing the flag and some extra eyes. I am also lucky in that I can stay active in the sport in many ways not all include getting wet.

I think that anyone who has been diving for awhile has kicked around the idea of solo diving.

I do appriecate all the input it has made me consider things I have not thought of before and I am better informed for it. Before I forget, Thank you all.

What motovaited others to solo dive?

ohmdiver:
What motovaited others to solo dive?

Let's see ... Let me predict the top four answers ...

1. Bad buddy experience.
2. Hobby (UW photography) that makes a buddy system less favourable.
3. Time/location restraints that make co-ordinating with a buddy problematic.
4. The joy of solitude - no worrying about someone else's air supply, comfort level,
enjoyment/interests. Focusing on your needs for your predetermined time.

Write me up as number 1 and 4.

pharmguy:
Let's see ... Let me predict the top four answers ...

1. Bad buddy experience.
2. Hobby (UW photography) that makes a buddy system less favourable.
3. Time/location restraints that make co-ordinating with a buddy problematic.
4. The joy of solitude - no worrying about someone else's air supply, comfort level,
enjoyment/interests. Focusing on your needs for your predetermined time.

Write me up as number 1 and 4.[/QUOTE

#1 Every one has a bad buddy story. Not on my list of why.

#2 Not into photography

#3 I am lucky I have many good dive "buddies" and many interesting places near by. (Interesting to me anyways)

#4 Joy of solitude. Yeah that works into the mix.

I guess out of the top 4, I can only relate to #4

Developing self-sufficiency skills is useful for anyone.Particularly if they dive in situations where the buddy may change ie:dive boats and liveaboard trips.I solo 90% of the time even when I have a buddy as we are either spearfishing,lobstering or I am diving with my photographer wife.
Good questions for the instructor would be about gear and gas redundancy issues,environmental issues such as depth,vis,current,temp etc.. that may preclude or deter safe solo diving.IME solo-divers are often my best buddies as they are better prepared for self-rescue and are more aware of having a buddy when they do.

I spoke with my instructor last night. What we discovered is that I have we have a lot of work to do. Although I have enough experiance I need to get a few more specilities out of the way. Nothing earthshaking they just need to get done. It sounded interesting and promising. I am going to persue the specilities first then consider and or reconsider after that.

Thanks for all the advise, it was very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom