Aeris A300CS / Suunto Eon Steel / Liquivision Lynx

WHich to buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Firstly apologies if this has been answered before, I scanned through a number of pages of posts, but couldn't find anything which matched what I'm considering...

Essentially, I'm looking to change my DC (for the second time) & would rather avoid another costly mistake, so I'm looking for some advice / experience.

I started of with a Suunto D6i (at the recommendation of my LDS), but just couldn't get on with the menu system - whether I found the display/info I wanted, seed to be more by luck than judgement & I found the screen size too small to be practicable.

So after 8 months I sold it & switched to a Mares Icon HD, which I find to be much better, but is a little "clunky", can take several attempts to pair the AI (after the transmitter has been removed for storage) & can be a little tricky to read in bright light (surface or on safety stop in bright clear water).

Basically I'm looking for a high end rec DC with AI, compass (I know from reading posts that these criteria will be poo-poo'd as superfluous by some, but there you go), a simple to operate/logical menu system & a display which is easy to read at a glance with all the info I'm likely to want on one screen - I don't want to have to constantly be going through menus whilst diving.

"Surfing around" the other day, I came across the Aeris A300CS which seemed to fit the bill precisely, but has some "less than enthusiastic reviews", otherwise I may just have ordered one already. I spoke with my LDS who are Oceanic/Aeris dealers & they suggested the new Suunto Eon Steel, but this looks to be about half as large again as my current Icon HD. Alternatively there's the Liquivision Lynx, of which I have no experience, nor do I know anyone who personally does.

I did also consider the xDeep & SW Petrel - which would be my first choice, were it not for the lack of AI...

So, if anyone can give any advice specifically on these three (or can suggest an alternative which I've missed), then I'd love to hear your views. Thanks.

SW Petrel all the way!
you won't outgrow it (deco, Trimix and fixed PO2 CCR), super readable user changeable battery, choice of known deco algorithms and rec mode
it is in the same price range and even lower.

forget AI. I've never seen AI functionning properly every time it is used. it will fail and nothing compare with a good simple gauge.

SW Petrel all the way!
you won't outgrow it (deco, Trimix and fixed PO2 CCR), super readable user changeable battery, choice of known deco algorithms and rec mode
it is in the same price range and even lower.

forget AI. I've never seen AI functionning properly every time it is used. it will fail and nothing compare with a good simple gauge.

Totally agree. I am replacing my Suunto D4i soon with a Petrel. Imho AI is much overrated and not as stable as I would like it to be. A simple SPG does the trick better and cheaper. These computers are great gadgets but not worth the money to me. I would pay this amount of money for a Petrel, but it is actually cheaper.

The want for AI is inversely proportional to the number of dives you have.

Petrel.

What those guys all said, but I'd buy a used Predator instead from someone upgrading to a Petrel. Same functions (the recreational settings aren't necessary) and you won't have to pay for the new. If it turns out you don't like it, or you can't live without AI, well, sell it for what you paid for it.

DO NOT buy a Liquivision Lynx if you want to know your air pressure before you splash. Think I am kidding? Unfortunately I am not. The new transmitter they sell now with it has a major bug that they have failed to address and I can only get my air pressure by checking my 2nd source until I am at least 5 ft down or indoors (info travels via sound waves so works indoors at your LDS but NOT on a shore dive or on a boat until you descend).

Yeah wish I hadn't bought mine. Good thing I have two computers, my expensive Lynx isn't worth half what I paid. All it's good for is the ease of reading, that is if you remember to put brand new charged batteries in before each dive. Oh yeah, did I mention it eats it's own batteries too? Make sure you buy an extra set as you'll always be charging and always be swapping them out. Better yet, buy something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom