Afraid of fish . . . how to deal with it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Statistics indicate a 90% attrition rate for the sport for people you largely got involved to see the pretty fish. I don't know, larger obstcales have been overcome but I would rent and not buy any equipment for her should she take the intial steps. The thought of her encountering a shark is not a good one...

Is this really about the fish or about the water and the fear of the unknown. I know people who don't like swimming in the ocean because they can't see what's beneath them and they know there is something beneath them.

If it's just the fear of the unknown simple going on a dive may take care of things. If it's really a fear of fish...well that may be different.:wink:

Cover her in tartar sauce and put lemons on her fins.

That same young lady will no doubt think nothing of jumping onto an interstate highway where the odds of danger is materially greater than diving and expotentially greater than fish injury...

Have son throw her back and find a sensible GF who wants to dive.

Greetings UsryTregre and welcome to the GF club! Well there have been really great advice so far the Discover is a win win for you. For a little $$$ she will get a opportunity to try it out and see that fish are rarely interested in contact with divers.
While assisting training it is not uncommon to have student feel uncomfortable with the fish. Usually this is a diminishing concern that resolves itself after a few dives. However it is important as others have said to be sensitive and supportive as well as realistic. There is no use to force someone to do a activity they hate! Trust me I have seen it and have lived through it. NOT DIVING! Nor was I the forcer but the forcee!
I am here to tell you it was miserable! Diving is far to awesome for those who love it to soil it to those who don't. If this is "THE GF" who ultimately marries your son she will have to tolerate, coexist with a diving mate this is a very important concern. These are things that need to be heeded while pondering your next moves.
I used to think that diving was for everyone but I have come to the "wisdom" that if you are miserable "what good is it?". Far to often we see this in husband and wife training. One or the other feels forced into scuba and for the love of of the other tolerate diving and hate every minute. That is a sickening situation if you are assisting the training and know also how it feels to be in their shoes.
Just tread softly being supportive of either decision leaving it up to her! If she want's to try then so be it. If not then it is fine, there is plenty of time no worries. I know a few bubble watchers that love to do just that! No problem.
Good luck and I feel your pain and understand hers as well!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Last edited:
As CamG said, peer pressure and a desire to please someone are well-known risk factors for anxiety and panic in scuba diving. Sometimes nervous or reluctant divers will find some excuse to avoid diving and I would guess that her fear of fish might be the one for her. My wife is certified, but now she says she prefers snorkeling, so that's what she does while I and a buddy dive. You might check out the article I wrote for Alert Diver magazine this past spring, which discusses a case study of panic in a "perfect storm" scenario.

Just this morning after church, the pastor's wife told me she'd like to learn to scuba dive like her son, but she is afraid of sharks. I told her that she was not on their menu and offered to help. We are in North Carolina, so I reminded her that doubtless many sharks have swam near her on the beach and she never even knew it.

The standard approach to dealing with any phobia, even icthyphobia, is prolonged exposure and response prevention. In other words, expose the person to the feared object or situation for 90 to 120 minutes without letting them engage in avoidance behaviors. (Yes, I know, most people can't make a standard tank last that long, but it doesn't have to be in deep water.) Often it is helpful to teach them relaxation techniques like diaphramatic or belly breathing ahead of time. FREE training MP3 files are available from www.DivePsych.com for just such a diver, even "nervous Nellies".

Since 2000 I have worked with a number of both anxious students and traumatized certified divers, including very experienced instructors, who have been able to get back under the water to enjoy God's creation. I would be glad to talk to her at her convenience. I will also be at DEMA Show in Orlando next month at the NeilMed Pharm Sinus Rinse booth if anyone wants to come by and chat.

Last edited:
I know someone who always said she was afraid of fish. (Fortunately for her, we could go on whole dives around here without seeing many.) It wasn't her only phobia about the water. She did get certified and dove well enough, but I suspect it was more because her boyfriend (now husband) was an avid diver. I don't think he pushed her into diving, she just wanted to do it because he did. I haven't been in touch for awhile but I suspect she's given up diving.

Most people that are afraid of bugs, find them creepy, and unpredictable .. she may feel the same way about fish.

Discover diving in a pool sounds like a good idea ... I'm not sure that a trip to an aquarium would help, but maybe?

Just make sure that there's no pressure at all ... she already has enough from her own desire to do something her BF does

Most people that are afraid of bugs, find them creepy, and unpredictable .. she may feel the same way about fish.

Thanks to everyone!

I sense the "creepy" part is her issue.

I'm thinking that we could go on a snorkel trip next summer -- San Carlos has a place called the Aquarium - it's about 12 feet deep, and calm - and maybe I can engage a dive instructor. Meanwhile, hubby, son, and I could blow a few bubbles as a warm-up to a dive or two.
:cool2:

Back
Top Bottom