Afraid of fish . . . how to deal with it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hola!

My son is certified OW, has about a dozen dives. His gf is willing to go through certification . . . but she is afraid of fish. (Don't know if it matters, but she is also afraid of bugs.)

How does one deal with this? Take her to the beach a lot? Buy her an aquarium?

I'd hate to get her trained, to only find out she won't be able to get in because there are fish . . .?!?!?

Diving's NOT for everyone.

If she's scared of fish, she may be too prone to panic to be a safe diver.

Not having such a fear, I have nothing to add, other than it may take professional help to rid of the fear. However, what's the benefit versus the risk? Unless she has a burning desire to dive and really wants to overcome the fear of fish, it's best to leave her above the water.

Are we talking about big fish with pointy teeth? :D

Many people are afraid of what they don't understand. Perhaps education in the form of an aquarium visit would be a good idea.

Our very own Do It Easy is afraid of fish. So he dives wrecks in the Great Lakes.

I can't imagine ocean diving if you were really afraid of fish. I'd certainly have her try some snorkeling first and see if she can get past the fear and see the beauty. If not, her diving options would certainly be limited.

Diving's NOT for everyone.

If she's scared of fish, she may be too prone to panic to be a safe diver.

Not having such a fear, I have nothing to add, other than it may take professional help to rid of the fear. However, what's the benefit versus the risk? Unless she has a burning desire to dive and really wants to overcome the fear of fish, it's best to leave her above the water.

Understand about the 'prone to panic' - my concern, as well. But it looks like gf might be evolving to significant other.

Are we talking about big fish with pointy teeth? :D

Many people are afraid of what they don't understand. Perhaps education in the form of an aquarium visit would be a good idea.

Nope, it seem that it is just fish. Kind of how people relate to bugs, as does she, that is how she relates to fish. She has been to an aquarium, but wasn't happy to have sea water splashed in her face (accident) . . . y'know, the worst thing that could happen?

I'm hoping SOMEBODY has run into this, and has some idea of how we can desensitize her. I'd hate my son to give up diving . . . or severely reduce diving.

Have her try a discover scuba in a pool. No fish there! I was hooked from my first breath underwater and it was enough for me to want to do it more. That might be enough get her interested in diving. Maybe then she will try the OW class and see that the fish there are either small enough to do any damage or to afraid of humans to get close anyway.

Have her try a discover scuba in a pool. No fish there! I was hooked from my first breath underwater and it was enough for me to want to do it more. That might be enough get her interested in diving. Maybe then she will try the OW class and see that the fish there are either small enough to do any damage or to afraid of humans to get close anyway.

That is my hope! However, given that it is winter and they live in Albuquerque (OMG, can't any of us get closer to water?!?!), I'd like to get her through the training in the winter, with lots of pool practice, and then hit the Carribean.

Exactly
:D
You can try the pool but forcing her just because her bf dives doesn't make sense.

Agree -- like I said, she is willing to train for it. I've cautioned the boy about any kind of pressure. He's sensitive to it.

I'm just looking for ideas . . . .

Tell her to take a kayaking course at the local college instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom