After OW, What next? AOW or Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Based on the overwhelming number of replies that says to go for the gear first, that is exactly what i'm going to do.I will get gear first and pursue advanced learning later. See, if I hadn't asked this question my mindset would've been to get certified first. :p thanks!

:)

You'll learn more diving with your own gear. Go for the AOW when you can afford it.

Hi All,

I am a relatively new diver, having less than 50 dives under my belt since I got certified last July 2012.

I would just like to ask the more experienced divers here on what is the next thing to do. Should I start investing on my own gear or should I pursue Advance Certification? I can't do both at the same time (budgetary reasons) so I'm just wondering which one I should accomplish first.

I'm thinking of going for the AOW but some people are saying that OW is enough for now and it would be better if I start having my own gear.

What do you guys suggest?

I recommend investing into a good dive computer first. A computer is going to make diving so much safer and simpler for you. If we were on a boat together, I would consider you an "Advanced" diver because you have 50 dives so it just depends on how much the rating means to you. If you already own a dive computer, then I would put the money towards a good regulator. In my mind, you should splurge on the reg, don't "cheap out" because you generally get what you pay for (if you buy a cheap reg then its pretty much the same as a rental). There are loads of great brands out there: Apeks, Scubapro, Aqualung, Atomic...consult your local dive shop for pricing and recommendations based on what types of diving you will be doing. If you aren't quite familiar with equipment, I would advise against buying it used online. Always best to try it out at a shop (if they will let you) or a buddy with the same gear. If you are going to buy used, consult someone with more experience and make sure you aren't getting ripped off or if the item is in worse condition than the seller claims. Hope this helps; happy safe diving!

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Based on the overwhelming number of replies that says to go for the gear first, that is exactly what i'm going to do.I will get gear first and pursue advanced learning later. See, if I hadn't asked this question my mindset would've been to get certified first. :p thanks!

:)
Your original question had only two answers ie. gear or training.
But your next one could be completely different especially when it comes to bc and reg eg. jacket vs BP/W, piston vs diaphragm, balance or un-balance etc etc.
Good luck.

Since you're in Dubai, check with Al Boom to see which brands they service before you settle on which gear you're going to buy. Having local service for your regulators is a big plus.

Since you're in Dubai, check with Al Boom to see which brands they service before you settle on which gear you're going to buy. Having local service for your regulators is a big plus.

I have another question about this. A friend is recommending me to get the Aqualung titan lx supreme acd. But I have checked and it seems that I can get a Cressi Ellipse Black Balanced NR - MC9 SC Yoke for the same price. What do you guys think is better?

Of course, i'm also looking into purchasing 2nd hand gear. im just checking out my options as im in no rush to get one yet.

As someone who has fewer dives than you but hasn't seen any of my diving choices dictated by an AOW requirement (yet) I'd say buy gear. I'm sure it all depends upon where you're trying to go but so far every shop I've talked with that "required AOW" for any open water rec dive also allowed the option of a checkout dive or two that would then allow me to access whatever I wanted if the DMs felt it was appropriate.

I bought all my gear (used) before I finished OW but still haven't come up with a compelling need to do AOW. I keep finding people to dive with that have more experience than me and trying to learn from them instead. That, scubaboard, and a couple of other resources (5th d-x you-tube videos are great) have taught me a lot that I'm trying to practice now.

Rescue is on my to-do list before AOW is, when it comes to continuing education.

I'd like to reiterate Steve_C's excellent point. You can learn a lot by reading manuals. They can't teach you everything, obviously, but they can give you a lot of incite. I have taken OW and A Nitrox class, but I also have manuals for several other courses, including Rescue, and they really can help you. Your situation doesn't have to be either/or.

If your AOW class includes rental gear, I'd do the class first. More experience might help you gain a better understanding of your needs.

I bought my own gear based on the gear I used in my AOW class. This is how I ended up with a back inflate BCD instead of jacket style.

Personally I like to see people in their own gear as soon as possible. IF they know what they want and need. Before buying gear sit down and look at what your current interests are. Then think about where you'd like to see yourself in a year or two. Had I done that I would not have wasted so much money on gear that I ended up selling and got little return on. Or that I gave away or have sitting here somewhere.

There is no need for a computer at this point unless you plan to do a lot of diving without making proper plans. At recreational depths you'll likely be ruled more by air supply than NDL's. So plan for square profiles, stick with them, get your basic skills nailed down with your new gear, then think about AOW.

Had I done this I would have ended up in a Backplate and Wing from the beginning. Not a back inflate, but a proper plate and wing with a basic harness, a long hose set up, and just forgot about deep dives, very low vis, and some of the other stuff I wanted to do early on. I actually spend more time now on dives less than 100 feet and many at less than 40 - 50 feet. But those are spent working on skills, enjoying being underwater, and some of those dives are 2 hours long and yet I am still under the air NDL's.

I now have a tech computer for when I need it. But most of the dives are planned and executed using tables and depth and time information. All my tech dives are. the computer is back up for those dives.

I like teaching the Advanced level course I do but I also enjoy the Intro to Tech and Underwater Navigation where it's pure skills and practice in less than 40 feet of water for dives lasting an hour and a quarter or more. Those prep me for the more advanced, deeper, wreck penetration dives.

Get a BC and reg and then dive the crap out of them. Work on your trim and buoyancy. Practice navigation in 20 feet of water. Work on disciplining yourself to not follow a guide into every little crack and crevice. You will often see more from above and by diving your own profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom