Aging eyesight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejenks48

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to by a wrist computer but the arms are not long enough for a watch size unit as age has taken its toll. I have been looking at the Suunto Vyper as it has a bright back light.
Comments please.

I use contacts when I dive, although not to correct far-sightedness, but astigmatisms. Never had any issues with them coming out or whatever and theire actually more comfortable when diving than when Im on dry land. When it comes to the prescription masks Ive heard anything from brilliant to sub-par, but I would think if youre ony far-sighted that it would be an easy enough thing to deal with for prescription masks as well.

If you just need the equivalent of drugstore reading glasses, this works well for me:
XS Scuba Fusion 2 gauge Reader Mask, #MA280

Only available in +1.75. Call them, you might get a lower price than what's listed.

I have custom bifocal lenses in my masks. I have also found that OLED displays, as found in the Atomic Cobalt and the Liquivision computers, are MUCH easier to read with old eyes.

You can get inexpensive bifocal masks from
Buy Diving Masks with Optical Lenses by H20, XS Scuba, TUSA, Mares

I went with the XSScuba Z Duo M line. I'd recommend getting +0.25 diopter stronger than your reading glasses, because we read out gauges much closer than books.

It also helps if you remove the plastic shield from the dive computer and use a Zagg screen protector.

Adam

I bought a Shearwater Predator. I don't know if you can use that much computer or not, but my older (+2.5) eyes can see the screen with ease. Anything with a big number colored display should do what you want. Nitek Q, Shearwater, and a few others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom