Air fare bargains are appearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet you can get great deals on cruises now, but who knows which ports will take you. I'd rather not be locked up on one in quarantine.

I bet you can get great deals on cruises now, but who knows which ports will take you. I'd rather not be locked up on one in quarantine.

That's a very good point Dandy (and I don't think we've agreed on about anything in the past). I've been on 2 cruises in my life and those were 20+ years ago. I couldn't stand living my vacation by the cruise ship's clock and being confined on that thing with 4,000 of my most elderly oxygen sucking and younger drunk misbehaved gringos. The threat of quarantine is a BIG deterrent. That ship that was recently quarantined overseas for 2 weeks ended up with 600 +/- infected when initially there were only a few identified. For those who want to cruise, make sure you pay up for a balcony room so you can isolate yourself and spend your days and nights on the balcony that is away from the ship's central HVAC that pumps that contaminated air through all cabins and interior areas of ship. A cruise ship is just a grand scale airplane when it comes to recirculated air via the HVAC system.

I assure you more people have been killed in car crashes driving to stores to load up on this stuff (or have caught the common flu touching the shopping carts in these stores) than have been killed or infected by this corona virus. People have watched far too many pandemic movies and pay far too much attention to our sensationalizing media.

Remember Ebola? Remember Zika?

In my opinion, with all the evidence and data I have seen, we have between 4 weeks and 12 weeks to cash-in on these travel deals. If the so-called experts that I have read and heard are correct, this virus is susceptible to spring/summer heat and especially late spring and early summer UV radiation, this virus may be contained in a several months.

Is this a serious health threat that requires medical professionals to train and plan for a possible pandemic? You betcha.

Should governments assume a worst case scenario in case this virus turns into a pandemic? You betcha.

Will a pandemic happen? Probably not.

Add to that the institutional knowledge that we humans have gained on this virus already. The mitigation measures in place, when combined with other measures being implemented, will hopefully keep this from becoming a pandemic. The reported death rates have fallen in the provinces outside of ground zero.

Could these experts be wrong? You betcha. Just like the experts were wrong about Ebola and Zika.

Roughly 10,000 US citizens have died from the common flu so far this year. Why isn't our Congress allotting 8 billion to combat that?

I am not stocking up on toilet paper or canned food as of now. Yes, maybe later.

Rahm Emanuel: "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste." That's all some politicians have.

Get ready to pounce on some good deals!

cheers,
m

We're all going to be zombies in 4 months. Stockpile brainzzzzzzzz.

Hey, live your life as you see fit. If you feel the need to prep and prepare for a catastrophic pandemic have at it. Everyone has to do what they need to do to sleep at night. If you're right, I'll be wishing I had prepared for the onset of pandemic generated Armageddon. However, if I'm right, you'll have to eat through all that processed, chemical/sodium/sugar laced food you've stockpiled. Eating through all that stuff will certainly shorten your life.

I did not say I disagreed with your facts. I just think it hilarious that some people have to try and educate everyone with facts that have been in the news daily since this started. No, I am not stockpiling crappy foods.

Sample fare in April:

Not sure why my screenshot is not pasting in. But, it is $293 RT from Houston Hobby to Cozumel.
Random dates in April (Saturday to following Sunday).

Here in Houston, stocking up is an annual rite of spring as we prepare for hurricane season. So what if we do it a month or two early?

The Southwest impact is another factor:
As mentioned in post #1. :)
I suppose a combination of the Southwest-effect and virus scare.

A neighbor called me today, said he and his wife had to go fly to Houston on the 14th for a few days, his computer was dead, and he needed help. I tried. I checked Southwest and Matrix, told him I could fly him to Cozumel as cheap as Houston (well, maybe not those dates), and American was $100 cheaper than Southwest. Got 'em booked, then went on to shopping for his car rental - something big as he is a huge fellow. I got a better deal on a 4-door pickup than I could on a SUV in Houston so he was happy with that. Then he came over and I figured out how to get his hardly used email account into his phone. I've never worked with a Samsung but google helped.

Talking about these virus fears reminded me of how a few US communities avoided the 1918 flu pandemic. They put up barricades on all roads into town and no one was allowed in for months. When people tried, they were isolated in jail. Those people were tougher than we grow these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom