Air Fills in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb:
The Costco dive gear is part of the "roadshow" promotions they do. Local retailers or wholesalers spend a few days to a week doing sales in the Costco store. They work on smaller margins than they would normally but get the opportunity to perhaps sell a great deal more volume. In the Lower Mainland of BC, Great Pacific Diving is the dive shop which participates in the roadshow. The LDS IS getting the business from the Costco promotions.
I am well aware of that. Just ask the other dozen or so LDSs in Vancouver what they think of it. I know of one that dropped Aqualung products because of it.

cheers,

I'm not trying to be argumentative so don't read this post in that tone... I just don't see what the big deal is with one local dive shop deciding to do two weeks of promotions (one week at two locations) of extremely select gear in conjunction with a Costco. They worked at lower margins than the 50% typical from the shop and were able to move some volume, encourage people to take an OW course and get some more divers in the water.

There is not a thing in the world stopping other local shops from running one week promotions or matching the promo prices for the week they were on. Again...this was an extremely limited selection of gear...heck when I walked by their booth they were already sold out of several regulators (on the first day of the sale). I don't know but would other LDS's be limited by their dealership clauses to only offer a maximum 10% off MSRP discount? I really don't know.

I find it amusing when one retailer chastizes another for promoting and selling products at a lower cost than they want to sell it for (in my business I get calls from Costco complaining about Superstore, Superstore complaining about London Drugs, London Drugs complaining about Walmart and on down the line it goes.) If LDS's make the shopping/diving experience all it can be, then they certainly have nothing to worry about when it comes to someone else running a promotion for 14 days out of 365 on 20 odd items.

bwerb:
I'm not trying to be argumentative so don't read this post in that tone... I just don't see what the big deal is with one local dive shop deciding to do two weeks of promotions (one week at two locations) of extremely select gear in conjunction with a Costco. They worked at lower margins than the 50% typical from the shop and were able to move some volume, encourage people to take an OW course and get some more divers in the water.

There is not a thing in the world stopping other local shops from running one week promotions or matching the promo prices for the week they were on. Again...this was an extremely limited selection of gear...heck when I walked by their booth they were already sold out of several regulators (on the first day of the sale). I don't know but would other LDS's be limited by their dealership clauses to only offer a maximum 10% off MSRP discount? I really don't know.

I find it amusing when one retailer chastizes another for promoting and selling products at a lower cost than they want to sell it for (in my business I get calls from Costco complaining about Superstore, Superstore complaining about London Drugs, London Drugs complaining about Walmart and on down the line it goes.) If LDS's make the shopping/diving experience all it can be, then they certainly have nothing to worry about when it comes to someone else running a promotion for 14 days out of 365 on 20 odd items.

bwerb, I don't think you are argumentative, in fact I understand your position. I have been frustrated by a trend I see in marketing, not just in the scuba industry.
I like hanging out at my corner LDS and BSing with the staff and other divers who wander in. I am worried that if the dive business is allowed to follow the trend we will be shopping at MEGA DIVEMART at the local mall and we will lose our inimate little circle that some of us feel is important to the dive experience.

cheers,

I agree with you totally Dave...I love the people at the LDS's too. I think that luckily, diving is really a niche sport...and lends itself perfectly to the independent small shop ethos. I'm not too worried about Mega Divemart showing up. I do think that the extra distribution step (wholesaler's) add cost to the Canadian dive gear market (about 20 to 30%) which is a shame and some of the dealership contracts really bind the hands of the dealers from being "allowed" to be more competitive with the on-line dealerships in cases where they would surely like to be able to capture the business and make the sale.

Sometimes I think that the LDS's are caught in a no win situation...they can't buy at the costs they need to offer better retails at the margins they need to maintain and they can't discount much beyond the MSRP's to bridge the gap when they need to.

I still think one of the huge issues is the cost of classes and gear because of them. Shops around here drop the prices of classes way down so they can get people in the door in hoping that they'll buy gear. I'm no expert, but as far as I've been told, this isn't the case in many places other then BC.

I'd far rather pay what the classes are really worth, and get the gear for the right prices accordingly. Everytime I buy gear, I give my LDS a chance to come close. If they're even in the ballpark, I'd rather purchase there, but when the difference is drastic, I'm talking double, then I can't justify buying locally.

Just a note, at this point, I've still bought a lot of my gear from my LDS. THey have come close enough a few times for substantial purchases that I went with them.

bcsean:
I still think one of the huge issues is the cost of classes and gear because of them. Shops around here drop the prices of classes way down so they can get people in the door in hoping that they'll buy gear. I'm no expert, but as far as I've been told, this isn't the case in many places other then BC.

I'd far rather pay what the classes are really worth, and get the gear for the right prices accordingly. Everytime I buy gear, I give my LDS a chance to come close. If they're even in the ballpark, I'd rather purchase there, but when the difference is drastic, I'm talking double, then I can't justify buying locally.

Just a note, at this point, I've still bought a lot of my gear from my LDS. THey have come close enough a few times for substantial purchases that I went with them.

I don't think any LDS could ask for more. Give them first crack. Untill they invent a way to pipe compressed air through a high speed connection we still need those guys around.

I notice some stores in Vancouver offer a reduced rate ($139) for OW class then you pay for cert, book, gear rental, air etc. I would much prefer the $350 all inclusive deal if I were to choose.
I think all OW students need to be prepared to buy mask, snorkel, fins right off the bat.

cheers,

$139? wow, I hadn't even seen them that low. I did mine for $199 which I thought was ridiculously cheap, but it did include everything. When I took my course, I was expected to have mask, snorkels, fins to do the course, or purchase if I didn't already have. They aren't part of a rental package.

The big problem is that all shops need to adopt this attitude at the same time, or doors will be closing. Not sure how feasable this is.

bwerb:
The Costco dive gear is part of the "roadshow" promotions they do. Local retailers or wholesalers spend a few days to a week doing sales in the Costco store. They work on smaller margins than they would normally but get the opportunity to perhaps sell a great deal more volume. In the Lower Mainland of BC, Great Pacific Diving is the dive shop which participates in the roadshow. The LDS IS getting the business from the Costco promotions.

I disagree with your last statement about the LDS getting the business.
The dive center is losing out on a possible $2500 or more (full set up) per person on gear sales just to get a few air fills?

That all adds up fast.
It is just wrong.

Just my thoughts.

tp

toodles:
I disagree with your last statement about the LDS getting the business.
The dive center is losing out on a possible $2500 or more (full set up) per person on gear sales just to get a few air fills?

That all adds up fast.
It is just wrong.

Just my thoughts.

tp

I'm just wondering TP, since GPDC has been doing this roadshow for a few years now, whats to stop OQ from doing it for a change. Has Greg looked into that?

cheers,

Back
Top Bottom