Air Fills in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toodles:
I disagree with your last statement about the LDS getting the business.
The dive center is losing out on a possible $2500 or more (full set up) per person on gear sales just to get a few air fills?

That all adds up fast.
It is just wrong.

Just my thoughts.

tp

Forgive me...I don't follow you here. GPD is selling the gear...they are selling it at a price they can live with (or they wouldn't keep signing-up to do it again). Most roadshows are total impulse buys and incremental business for the participant.

In other words...consumers walk by said booth...go "oh cool...dive gear...hey look they are offering training too. I should buy a mask and fins and the course, I've been wanting to do it." They had no intention of buying anything or even taking the course. They saw it and bought it. What has happened is that GPD has now enticed a diver into their shop for a course. And since they will need more gear, they have used a promotion in one area to bring in business in another area.

And seriously...if you are saying that an EXTRA $2500 profit over and above the "promotional price margin" is reasonable, then we have very different views on the subject.

bwerb:
Forgive me...I don't follow you here. GPD is selling the gear...they are selling it at a price they can live with (or they wouldn't keep signing-up to do it again). Most roadshows are total impulse buys and incremental business for the participant.

In other words...consumers walk by said booth...go "oh cool...dive gear...hey look they are offering training too. I should buy a mask and fins and the course, I've been wanting to do it." They had no intention of buying anything or even taking the course. They saw it and bought it. What has happened is that GPD has now enticed a diver into their shop for a course. And since they will need more gear, they have used a promotion in one area to bring in business in another area.

And seriously...if you are saying that an EXTRA $2500 profit over and above the "promotional price margin" is reasonable, then we have very different views on the subject.

The problem is the suppliers reduce their wholesale to the roadshow shops, this allows them to sell an item below a price the LDS can even hope to match. It also gives the consumer a distorted impression of the markup in the business. They figure if brand X can be sold for this amount at costco why is it twice as much at my LDS. They incorrectly assume the LDS is making a huge profit margin on all their products.
If you think the roadshow just attracts the casual costco impulse buyer just hang around one for a couple of hours. It will feel like a class reunion. Many divers wait for the roadshow every year and then come into your store to buy an air fill card for their shiney new tank.

cheers,

wedivebc:

The problem is the suppliers reduce their wholesale to the roadshow shops, this allows them to sell an item below a price the LDS can even hope to match. It also gives the consumer a distorted impression of the markup in the business. They figure if brand X can be sold for this amount at costco why is it twice as much at my LDS. They incorrectly assume the LDS is making a huge profit margin on all their products.
If you think the roadshow just attracts the casual costco impulse buyer just hang around one for a couple of hours. It will feel like a class reunion. Many divers wait for the roadshow every year and then come into your store to buy an air fill card for their shiney new tank.

cheers,

Time to talk to your supplier about your "one week promotion" and the special pricing you will need to drive the advertising...:D

Hey,

I just took a look at this thread and didn't see a comparison on air fill cost. I just bought 4 tanks and I'm interested in getting an air card or just going to a place that offers good service with decent prices.

Can you all share the costs you have seen out there and where?

Thanks,

Jimi

jimisurf:
Hey,

I just took a look at this thread and didn't see a comparison on air fill cost. I just bought 4 tanks and I'm interested in getting an air card or just going to a place that offers good service with decent prices.

Can you all share the costs you have seen out there and where?

Thanks,

Jimi
Well, just an idea but if say 10 divers from the same area get together.
Each put in $100.00 to total $1000.00 and went to one dive store and said "we would like air cards of a certain amount" I think a price per fill might be negociated?

B.C.Mike:
Well, just an idea but if say 10 divers from the same area get together.
Each put in $100.00 to total $1000.00 and went to one dive store and said "we would like air cards of a certain amount" I think a price per fill might be negociated?

$1,000.00 will actually get you an unlimited fill for a year. That's what GPD had before the price increase.

Incidentally, I believe GPD still has cheapest of the Vancouver stores for air fills (not counting the Island of course). I am also not sure for the suburbs.

OK.

I made a few phone calls this afternoon (I live in the Kits area) and this is what I came up with:

Diving Locker (Kits): $10 for a fill, $325 if you buy 50 ($6.50 per)

IDC (Kits): $10 for a fill, $140 if you buy 20 ($7 per), $15 for Nitrox, $240 if you buy 20 Nitrox ($12 per).

BC Dive Adventures (Kits): $10 for a fill, no aircard deals, Nitox is sold by the CF but works out to about $15 for an 80 CF tank for EAN 32.

I asked each store about the increase and received two responses that the going rate in Vancouver is now $10 so they are meeting that rate. The other store indicated that the dive business is slow this year so they can't offer such a good deal on air (air was subsidised by stronger equipment sales).

Incidently the I received the following prices for VIP and O2 clean:

Dive Locker: VIP is $20 includes fill, $40 for an O2 clean

IDC: VIP is $18.95 includes fill, $24.95 for an O2 clean

BC Dive adventures: VIP $25 includes fill, $50 VIP and O2 clean (no fill, unless you only want air....)

What does GPD charge?

Thanks,

Jimi

imsharkbait:
same as diving locker as far as i know

I'm dropping my tanks off at IDC this week for VIP O2 clean (for 2 of them) and fill. They seem to be the best deal at the moment.

Jimi

Diving locker's o2 clean comes with a fill of up to 40%. But they only have it in their langley shop. You can drop it off at any of their location and they will drop it off for you. Takes about 1 week though. They are out of O2 till next week.

Back
Top Bottom