Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As another Air Hog, I took away two lessons. First, don't get too excieted if your air does not last as long as others. Second, consider all the controlable factors and work on those that you can.

Above all, enjoy this SCUBA thing.

thanks

other people with the same problem. In Coz
they gave me a 100 cf tank while everyone
else was using al80s...I still hoovered. Oh
well, the whole object of SCUBA is to be
able to breath....and man can I breath!!!

:D

It took me 50-60 dives to get my air consumption way down. What really did it was:
1. Chillin out...being really relaxed underwater (but not unconscious...)
2. Bouyancy training (part of my AOW course) -- getting my trim right, including...
3. Getting the lead out! Overweighting kills your air
4. No longer worrying about air consumption

[Worrying about consuming too much air feeds on itself...]

Newhampster once bubbled...
It took me 50-60 dives to get my air consumption way down. What really did it was:
1. Chillin out...being really relaxed underwater (but not unconscious...)
2. Bouyancy training (part of my AOW course) -- getting my trim right, including...
3. Getting the lead out! Overweighting kills your air
4. No longer worrying about air consumption

[Worrying about consuming too much air feeds on itself...]

This describes me almost perfectly.Your not impersonating me are you :D

DivingGal once bubbled...

Thanks ID - in response to you:
- about a year
- not first ocean, but first for Barbados

bio? what do you need to know

Number of dives would tell more than years of diving here. Air consumption will decrease as you become more comfortable in the water, which comes with experience. Other things that will help is losing weight (if one needs to) and improving your overall physical condition and especially your cardiovascular condition. It goes without saying that if you smoke you should give it up.

Dave D

I always figured that the reason we bring air down with us is to breathe it. Can't see a whole lot of point in bringing it back to the surface again unused, though this appears to be a point of honour among some of the people I have dived with.

I'm also partial to my air. I've discovered that rapid air consumption doesn't make me very popular on dive holidays, but at least it limits my exposure to slow tissue DCS!

:eek:ut:

yep, we have a group of divers around here( great group, but this is a bad habbit for them) that have a thing about how much air that they have left over from the dive, like ' i only used this much' and so one and the main diver in the group is an instuctor and this has become a point of pride, as this person uses half the air that most would use, and closer to a one third of what i use. so dont even worry about it and dive and get fitter and more comfortable under there and smile when they get into the boasting state. and just stay out of it.

danw2002 once bubbled...
yep, we have a group of divers around here( great group, but this is a bad habbit for them) that have a thing about how much air that they have left over from the dive, like ' i only used this much' and so one and the main diver in the group is an instuctor and this has become a point of pride, as this person uses half the air that most would use, and closer to a one third of what i use. so dont even worry about it and dive and get fitter and more comfortable under there and smile when they get into the boasting state. and just stay out of it.

strange! one would think that staying alive and enjoying scuba is the most important thing while diving...
there's no point in trying to beat the instructor (well at least not mine)! i even asked him about it once and he told me that i shouldn't worry about it: it simply comes with years (and years, and years) of diving :D

Hi Divegal, These are things I have been taught, they are not directed at you but some points may help you.
Its a problem that many never bother to sort out. Start on the surface by taking the time to relax, its no good decending if your breathing heavy. Signal wait, not okay, take long slow deep breaths and concentrate on relaxing the muscles from your feet to your head. Overweighted? With a full cylinder can you sink with your lungs full, if so your probably overweighted. I use steel cylinders aluminum are not cheaper in the U.K. A properly relaxed diver often needs 8lbs less. Of course be sure your emptying the bcd fully. There is nothing like speed underwater to make you breath heavy. Each little increase comes at an increase in the breathing rate out of all proportion, so SlOW DOWN and move like a snail. Remember any exertion that causes you to increase your breathing rate will leave you in a heavy breathing pattern for quite some time after the exertion has stopped. Don't chase after buddies, like dogs they will only go faster and leave you out of breath, or sucking like an electrolux. Stream line and get rid of the danglies. You head makes a hoop for your feet to pass through. Get horizontal, don't swim with your arms. If you use a flutter kick fin stroke, check you don't bend your legs at the knees to much and shorten the stroke so your legs and feet remain inside the hoop Concentrate on the breath pattern some advise 1:2 ratio 4 count inhale = an 8 count exhale. Check your gear for leaks. Keep warm, cold people breath heavier.

Reducing your air consumption is not a "quick fix" solution. All the other replies include good info. It's a multi-faceted solution.
Considerations are your health/physical condition, equipment
you are using (efficiancy of the reg, proper fitting BC, proper bouyancy, size of tank, exposure suit, etc.), activities during trhe dive............all kinds of stuff! Most of all, experience and general comfort level.

There is a little known device you may want to
check into. The "Power Lung". For the money, it will increase
your general lung function/efficancy more drammatically than
anything one single thing I know about. It is an exercise device
for the muscles responsible for inflating and deflating your lungs.
Originally developed for the US Olymipic Cycling Team, this
lung muscle trainer is now available in consumer designs and has
made its way to many sports/recreation venues. We have been selling them in my store for almost 2 years and have had great feedback and I have witnessed much improvement from many
users. Most of my experience is related to Freediving, however,
the principal is the same for Scuba.

Check it out at: ww.powerlung.com

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom