Air integrated computer and tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Veritably337

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My next tech diving question. I have a Suunto Cobra air integrated console computer. I was considering using it as a back up to my Mares Nemo wide for tec 40 and 45.

1. Is this configuration okay?

2. If not, why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few of us use Cobras in gauge mode when doing tech dives. All it does besides warning you of a fast ascent rate, it just gives depth, PSI, and dive time. Doing deep air dives, it's decompression spikes up and will lock out if you don't clear it. I was doing an air dive with 3 deco gasses with 15 bottom time and 20 deco time. The cobra wanted me to deco for 52 minutes.

run it in gauge mode and it shouldn't be a problem. Check with your instructor as they may want an analog SPG on the right post in case of battery failure, but it's convenient because it doubles as your backup depth/bottom timer, so I see no issue with it. I wouldn't recommend it as an option to new divers because of the cost associated with it vs traditional means, but if you already have it, I see no issue with it.

Fine by me, but I'm no instructor.
TBone's solution is not fine by me though. Pointless to place a second SPG on a rig imho.

I wouldn't do it, but some instructors mandate analog SPG's when using digital pressure gauges. That said, I also prefer to dive independent doubles instead of manifolded, so there's that.

My next tech diving question. I have a Suunto Cobra air integrated console computer. I was considering using it as a back up to my Mares Nemo wide for tec 40 and 45.

1. Is this configuration okay?

2. If not, why?

In deco mode, Suunto computers from this vintage will give you a rough idea of the total deco obligation but they will give you ZERO advice about how to curve the ascent.

I have a Vytec from the same vintage and even when I have 30+ minutes of deco it shows a ceiling of 3.4 meters. That's utterly and completely useless.

More modern Suunto computers aren't much better. They use a proprietary Wienke RGBM, which is beyond useless in a technical context. Anything Wienke related is useless in a technical context and a proprietary Wienke algorithm means (a) run away because it's Wienke and (b) run away because it's proprietary.

For any deco in tec 40 or 45 you can use the Suunto and survive provided you know how to curve the ascent but if you are planning on making decompression dives on a regular basis then you're going to need a new computer.

R..

In deco mode, Suunto computers from this vintage will give you a rough idea of the total deco obligation but they will give you ZERO advice about how to curve the ascent.

I read the OP as wanting to use it as a replacement for an SPG and bottom timer (in gauge mode?), not as a backup DC.

I don't know if some tech training agencies will let you use a DC at all for an ascent profile in training (mine didn't). We used a slate. Now, I follow my Petrel and have the slate for backup, but I back up the depth/time function of the petrel with a bottom timer.

As someone getting into Tech, this post has been informative. I am curious tho. How many Tec divers use computers as opposed to plain old Bottom Timers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom