Air Integrated? Wrist Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I absolutely loathe consoles, I like having my computer on my wrist where it is one less thing i have to worry about "dangling". You're going to find that most of people who frequent this board are pretty fanatical about diving and are into the more technical aspects of it. These disciplines look very unfavorably on bells & whistles like wireless AI. Yes, when the technology was first introduced, I'm sure they had pretty high failure rates. But wireless technology is safe; people use it and rely on it every day--from aviation to medicine. The majority of people that I have come across using wireless AI really like it. One of my friends uses a Suunto D9 AI and I have an Oceanic VT3. The biggest problem with D9 is that it doesn't always sync up before a dive, but he has never lost a signal during the couple hundred dives he has used it. I only have about 50 dives on my VT3 and I have never had problem syncing and have never lost a signal--despite the use a camera strobe.

For me, the only real benefit to AI is it keeps a real time record of you gas usage during a dive. I don't pay attention to the remaining airtime function, I just keep track of my pressure and my NDLs. The biggest problem with Wireless AI is it's price. I managed to get a really good deal on my setup--I would never pay the $1,000 price for the feature. There are lots of other nice toys you could buy with that money that would greatly improve your diving experience. I'm probably going to be selling mine soon. If you have lots of $$$$ and don't plan on getting into technical diving, I say go for it--I really recommend the VT3.

I don't have any experience with the Atom 2.0, but I believe the answer is yes, the transmitters are compatible. My wife's new VT3 had no problem linking with my older VT Pro, and she can check my tank pressure without a problem. Just program the serial number of transmitter, and you are good to go. Each of us has one transmitter connected to a HP outlet on our first stage.

I'd check with Oceanic just to make sure the Atom 2.0 transmitters are compatible with the VT series.

The Atom 2.0 transmitters are compatible with the VT series. I am pretty sure that all of the Pelagic transmitters are compatible with any hoseless Pelagic computer. I know I have used an Oceanic transmitter with an Aeris computer, and vice versa.

That is correct, the transmitters are the same for all oceanic computers.

And to add, you can have more than one computer read a transmitter at a time. Just type the same serial number into each computer and aways you go. I did this while I demoed the datamask. I wore my Atom 2.0 and set the mask to read my transmitter as well.

I've been diving with hoseless AI computers recreationally since 1995. I've had the Air X, the Air-X Nitrox and now dive the ScubaPro/Uwatec Aladin Air Z (after the Air X Nitrox software recall). It seems that every remote AI discussion always mentions problems with pairing/synching, but over the past 13 or so years that I've been diving with one I have never had nor have I personally seen anyone else have any signal problems.

When teaching I always used a "standard type" console, but these days, when most of my diving involves flying, a console set can't beat my AI travel regs. It has just two hoses (both LP), one for the primary reg and one for the alt reg/LP inflator (Sherwood Shadow). To me the biggest advantages of an AI system are the elimination of the HP hose and the ability to have all of my dive info displayed right on my wrist.

Of course YMMV.

Daz

I use the uwatec AI and love it. Only have to sync it once when you first get it, after that it's good to go. It's expensive but, I'm worth it :)

I love my Atom 2.0. I have never had a sync issue because the transmitter ID is static programmed into the wrist receiver. The ATR calculations are very accurate, and I feel a very useful tidbit of information. I use it constantly to track my breathing at a given depth using different gear setups.

The aggregated data uploaded to my laptop gives me a good idea of how efficient a particular setup is relevant to depth/temperature. It's just a number, if you want the data its there, if not ignore it.

I love when people point to the search box as if no one knows it's there but similiar questions get asked all the time. Maybe all that I have read in past posts hasn't satisfied my questions and I'm looking for more...

Thank you for your response though Max. I am looking for some detail.

Then you havent read enough coz there is every possible answer to every possible question you may have about computers on this board it just takes some time going throught it all, but I can appresciate you looking for a short cut:wink:

I dont like consoles IMO too awkward to big and heavy (some) not ergonomic a pain to read and if compass too also a pain to use, I prefer compass and computer on my wrists for mee seems easier and more natural, IMO in a nut shell dont get AI too expensive and you wont lose a hose coz you should still keep a SPG as redundant. I like watch for the size factor, Oceanic and Aeris (same company) make good watches and have a good rep, if you buy upper range Suuntos like D9 or D6 or even the stinger they have a good rep, the new D4 is almost out looks good, stay away from the Mosquito seems to have more reliability issues than most. Bigger wrist tops eg Suunto Gekko is a good model at a good price, simple and easy to use...

There are so many options and everyone will say something different...dude just read any of the million threads and youll get more info than you need...good luck:)

There are some articles in Diver and Scuba magazine that are worth finding and reading. These show how much bottom time each computer gives under identical situations.

Three of us dive together and use different computers. Aeris Atmos 2 gives the most bottom time, and you have to ascend real slow with it. Cressi is less bottom time than Aeris, and Suunto (Vyper, I think) gives the least.

How the instrument responds to various diving situations should be part of the selection process.

Go with the Wrist computer.

I have been using UWATEC AI for the past few years without any problems. The wrist mount is especially good for underwater photographers (like me). For the good models syncing is only done once, so this should not be an issue.

I have heard of "brief" failures caused by other electronics, especially high powered strobes. I shoot with twin Ikelite 125's on a regular basis, and have never had a problem. The Smart Tec worked flawlessly, and I recently upgraded to a Galileo, which is really, really nice.

Good Luck,

Dan

Back
Top Bottom