Air integration for tech dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The article is on Shearwater's blog, but Natalie Gibb is the author.

For my backmounted doubles I’m sticking with traditional left hip spg. But I’m very seriously considering transmitters for my Sm rig based off of the linked article; it’s a fairly compelling argument.

So I take it the DIR folk are still not into air integration for the garden variety divers, correct?

Based off of you being NorCal and your joining date, I’m guessing your an old school BAUE guy. Don’t worry, your gear is still good to go including your uwatec bottom timer 🤣

Did you miss the first sentence? - “I’m at intro level.”

Oh, got it. So no experience with AI with more than two tanks.

Based off of you being NorCal and your joining date, I’m guessing your an old school BAUE guy. Don’t worry, your gear is still good to go including your uwatec bottom timer 🤣

LOL.

Well, I was on another thread in the DIR forum recently and someone said something about needing a dive computer for tech dives. I was like, WTF happened? We do computers now?

So I take it the DIR folk are still not into air integration for the garden variety divers, correct?
You’ll probably be forced to wash your mouth out with soap for even suggesting AI for them.
Who are "DIR folk" these days anyway? GUE still says no to AI for purposes of GUE instruction. But I don't doubt there are people using AI who adhere to most of their GUE training, not to mention people without GUE training who just dive that way.

Joking aside, computers have come a long way in recent years. I think most of the “bakers dozen” reasons against dive computers no longer apply.

That said, I’m sure the BAUE members will disagree with me.

Joking aside, computers have come a long way in recent years. I think most of the “bakers dozen” reasons against dive computers no longer apply.

I guess the way I was taught to do tech/cave dives, computer function on a dive computer is superfluous. So no matter how advanced computers become, the only information I need from the computer is depth and time. Well, these days, depth average is good info.

The air integration part is specifically of interest to me in this thread. I mean, if you are venturing into tech or cave diving, I would assume that getting your SPG to check how much gas you have left and stowing it again is second nature. That tells you how much gas you have in your doubles. If you add stage / deco bottles, those valves are almost in your face. So checking pressure on those tanks is trivial also.

Not sure I understand what AI is adding to the equation to make a diver's life better.

But I’m very seriously considering transmitters for my Sm rig based off of the linked article; it’s a fairly compelling argument.
The article may have been borderline shilling by a Shearwater fanboy (er, fangirl), but I have such respect for Natalie's opinions that I immediately read the whole thing with interest.

Who are "DIR folk" these days anyway? GUE still says no to AI for purposes of GUE instruction. But I don't doubt there are people using AI who adhere to most of their GUE training, not to mention people without GUE training who just dive that way.

Let's you want to dive with the WKPP. I dunno what the checkout ritual is but let's say one of their crew will want to get to know you first. So let's say you meet up at a dive site and the dude looks at your gear. What's he going to say about the AI transmitter on your reg?

I imagine WKPP folk have a more strict adherence to DIR principles than divers who just happen to have GUE training.

I guess the way I was taught to do tech/cave dives, computer function on a dive computer is superfluous. So no matter how advanced computers become, the only information I need from the computer is depth and time. Well, these days, depth average is good info.

The air integration part is specifically of interest to me in this thread. I mean, if you are venturing into tech or cave diving, I would assume that getting your SPG to check how much gas you have left and stowing it again is second nature. That tells you how much gas you have in your doubles. If you add stage / deco bottles, those valves are almost in your face. So checking pressure on those tanks is trivial also.

Not sure I understand what AI is adding to the equation to make a diver's life better.

Inquiring minds want to know; are you an old school BAUE guy/gal?

One reason I’m considering it on my SM rig is so I don’t have to shine my light backwards in a cave to check my guages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom