Air Refill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt_canadensis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Before i start diving in the open water I'd like to start to practice in the pool n my backyard. Is there a fairly easy and inexpensive way I can refill the air?

Being that you are not certified then I would say to wait till you get in the pool with your instructor. You can seriously hurt yourself in a pool even if it is only 6'-8' deep. You would be hard pressed to find a LDS that you could get a tank filled at without being certified. You are better off waiting to pool time. Probably not the answer that you were looking for.

Have fun in your class.

Before i start diving in the open water I'd like to start to practice in the pool n my backyard. Is there a fairly easy and inexpensive way I can refill the air?

Would that be a nice clean "food grade" air fill without contaminants... or the street version?

Agreed with others. I would say that no self respecting dive shop will give you air if you are not evidently certified (i.e. able to produce a card) OR at least able to convince them you are an experienced diver. Diving is inherently dangerous and those risks are mostly mitigated through proper training and experience. As said earlier, you can do just as much damage to yourself in 3 feet of water as anywhere else.

Take your time, read a lot about diving, tell the instructor that you are anxious to have pool time and maybe they can help you out there somehow. It may cost money, it may not. But to do it without your instructor there is just tempting fate IMHO.

Some shops will do a sort of "discover scuba" in the local pools to give people an opportunity to see what it's like to breath underwater and have all the gear on. Talk to shops in your area and find out if this is an option by you.

WAIT. Wait and when you are in the class you can practice in the pool under supervision. People don't realize that there are real dangers to using equipment without training or experience. Hurry sign up for a class learn to dive and have fun -- safely.

I'll assume you're taking a course or are otherwise under supervision so I'll deal with the practical aspect only.

Other than at a dive center, or other location with specialized equipment, there is no way to refill tanks.

Commercial compressors operate in the 150psi range, with "high pressure" compressors getting as high as 300psi. Either way it's below the 500psi usually considered to be an empty tank, and way short of the 2,500-3,000psi of a full tank.

Take the course and plan on paying for your fills like the rest of us.

I'd agree with others about waiting till you're with an instructor. The idea of Discover Scuba is a great idea.

The air put in SCUBA tanks is also filtered much more than your household compressor. They also use food grade oils so they will not contaminate the air.

Back
Top Bottom