Air to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

116fire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody gone to Bonaire via Aruba? I was thinking to flying United to Aruba with my miles and taking a puddle jumper to Bonaire. Possible problems might be baggage allowance on said flight and schedualing--if one had to stay overnight on Aruba is there an easy way to do this?

Has anybody gone to Bonaire via Aruba? I was thinking to flying United to Aruba with my miles and taking a puddle jumper to Bonaire. Possible problems might be baggage allowance on said flight and scheduling--if one had to stay overnight on Aruba is there an easy way to do this?

Your choices are more limited from Aruba than they are from Curacao.

See if you frequent flyer miles can get you to Curacao instead of Aruba. From Curacao you will have a choice of DAE (Dutch Antilles Express), Divi Divi and one new airline (I forgot the name) that just started flying from Curacao to Bonaire.

If your choices are limited to Aruba I think your only choice is DAE. They limit you to 20 kilos (44 lb) regardless of the number of bags. Over 44 pounds you pay dearly and in cash (unless they changed from two years ago).

Insel Air is another option - from Curacao. When are you going? Insel might start flying from the States (Miami?) as early as October. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/248840-possible-new-way-get-bonaire-i-hope.html

The new one Ron mentioned is EZ Air: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3759950-post5.html

Another option, look at AA from O'Hare through Miami to Curacao. With an early morning departure, you should be on Curacao mid-afternoon. Plenty of time to connect with one of these options to Bonaire.

Flying with DAE is an interesting experience. We have done it twice enroute to Bonaire.

The first time was from/to Aruba. We had to go to a small booth to confirm our tickets. The woman there tried to charge us for the ticket even though we had the booking in hand with a photocopy of the VISA receipt. It took a bit of discussion, but we made it through. Our luggage had not made it to Aruba, and there was very little communication/information to let us know when it was following either through the first carrier or DAE. It cost us around $60 for overweight luggage on the return. That was a couple of years ago.

The second time we connected through Curacao. We went to the check in counter with our e-ticket in hand only to be told that we had to go to the ticket office to get a real ticket. It was not a long walk through the airport and we were given essentially another printed copy of what we had, just in a different format. When we returned to complete the check-in we were told that there was only one seat remaining. They booked me on the following flight later that evening and told us to go through security to the departure desk. There was no agent at the desk, and a lot of people, so it did not look good. The DAE sign indicated that the flight was on time. No agent showed up and as the departure time had passed the sign changed to read that the flight had departed. When an agent showed up to check in folks for the next flight there was almost a stampede. The agent said that the sign changes automatically and that the aircraft had not arrived. She also told us that there may be a seat and that the problem was probably because the aircraft took on too much fuel at Aruba, so they were weight restricted.

We managed to change seats. I was going on to Bonaire to get us checked into accommodations and pick up the rental truck. When we boarded I went to my assigned seat (2A). Another passenger came up to me and told me that I was in their seat (1A). The front row was row 2. Well, there was a bit of a discussion between them and the flight attendant who basically told them to take any seat. When I turned to see what was happening, my wife was standing in the aisle of the aircraft. She was told to take any seat.

Long story. Sorry, but the point is if you are flying with DAE, be prepared for anything. I would recommend at least three hours between when you arrive either on Aruba or Curacao and your onward connection to Bonaire.

We have not had much luck trying to contact them either via e-mail or on the phone. Our travel agent is more persistent, but even she gets frustrated trying to contact them.

Our next Bonaire trip is November. We are sucking it up and taking the redeye to avoid flying DAE.

Is there ferry service from Aruba and/or Curacao to Bonaire? Would it be an option, albeit at the expense of probably a full day of transit?

Unless it has been created within the last year there is no ferry service between the islands.

116fire,

Let me know if you need help with the airfare. We fly often from Bonaire to Aruba and back.

You can fly DAE, or which Ed and I prefer Tiara Air or Insel Air. My son works for United and we have flow to Aruba from DC and Charlotte. Depending on the day you arrive in Aruba, you will be able to make the Tiara or Insel Air evening flights.

DAE is also an option, and lately they have been overall good, from what I hear, but we haven't flown them in a while.

Going through Aruba can be a great option, as well as less expensive.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom