Air to Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am working on my first trip to Roatan, and am currently wrestling with air travel.:mooner: I have accounts with most all the major carriers now, and am looking for something for two in the first half of September. My searches are pulling up about $780 each round trip from MSP to RTB, with one stop. Seems high, but in this travel market this might be the best we can do. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input. Woody

I've been watching fairs from NYC for over 3 months. They have been persistently high compared to our previous trips (about $570). The least expensive, most recent 1-stop from NYC was $676. I should have booked it. I just made late July reservations @ nearly $700 each. For what it is worth, fully 44% of the price consists of taxes and fees. That seems unusually high to me. In contrast, I just made reservations for a June trip to Belize and those only cost $506 each with only 21% of that being taxes and fees. Maybe the difference is the result of actions in Honduras or Roatan itself.

Yes, $280 of that fare is probably in taxes and fees. The other thing is that because September is low season, the number of flights goes down significantly. I know that We we went over labor day two years ago, the number of flights leaving the week after labor day was 1/2 of what it was going to the island.

Looks like you're a little late shopping...

14c4rkg.jpg

35a13dg.jpg

How about a little adventure travel?

28imgyg.jpg

Click >--->ScreenHunter_09 Apr. 23 01.26.jpg
Nah, I wouldn't either. :shocked2:

I am working on my first trip to Roatan, and am currently wrestling with air travel.:mooner: I have accounts with most all the major carriers now, and am looking for something for two in the first half of September. My searches are pulling up about $780 each round trip from MSP to RTB, with one stop. Seems high, but in this travel market this might be the best we can do. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input. Woody

I have been going to Roatan almost every year...I find most airlines will drop their fares at about 4 months out....set up a tracker on Farecompare.com or Yapta.com they will track the fares and let you know when they drop....I watch fares daily when I am getting ready to purchase even though I have the trackers set up..I usually set them up at about 7 months but start really keeping an eye on them at about 5 months out....so you should see them drop in about a month or 6 weeks for Sept....good luck it is always a crap shoot....I paid 678.00 from Texas this year for June :shakehead:

Woody

Unless you want to take an adventure route like DandyDon mentioned you are pretty well locked on airfares. I live in MN as well and travel yearly to Roatan. Since Delta and Continental have this market locked up and don't appear to really try and compete you will find their fairs about $5 consitantly year round. The only way to sometimes get a break is to overnight in Atlanta 1 or both ways. Sorry but we are really screwed up here when it comes to airfare.

it is strange that different parts of the country have such a variable difference in pricing....my friend who travels from San Francisco to Roatan always gets a better/cheaper airfare than I do and I am closer to Roatan...her ticket last year was almost 100.00 cheaper than mine on the same airline CO:idk: I used to get a great rate on TACA but their flight times aren't as good as CO so I no longer use them

Tell me! So often the rest of the US and Canada can fly over me to Cozumel for half what it costs me to get there from Lubbock, but then Cont Express is certainly not the same things as Continental.

I agree with the daily emails. Sidestep.com/Kayak.com also send those. Pick out several date pairs that will work and sign up for them.

In my case it was equivalent to look at an all inclusive with airfare built in. I won a trip to Utila for a week and I am staying in Roatan for a week beforehand because it was only a couple hundred dollars more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom