Air Travel With Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm taking notes...
Will fly (for the first time) in less than 30 days and I'm not sure how to organise my baggage (considering that after the liveaborad we will have also a couple of days of wandering in the forest)...

I saw one passenger walk on wearing rEVO CCR with a mask on his forehead.

Did he appear distressed or near panicked? ; )

I've worn on a poodlejacket bcd as a fashion accessory before. No questions asked.

On a recent trip to Bonaire, I saw one passenger walk on wearing rEVO CCR with a mask on his forehead. The rEVO had lots of metal parts that would each have been confiscated if they were carried on individually.

Actually saw the same thing going to Bonaire from EWR 2 weeks ago minus the Mask on Forehead

Has anyone had their carry-on be forced checked due to space? I was planning to have a smaller bag inside the carry-on for items that absolutely must go with me. I'm thinking reg, computers, lithium batteries and one mask. Anything else?

I'm flying across the country with my scuba stuff next week. We're only checking one bag which will have all of our more durable gear like fins, BCDs, masks, wetsuits, etc.

I'll put both my fiancé and my regulators and computers in my carry on bag. Our clothes and toiletries will go in her bag.

For my canister light, I got a statement from Light Monkey that said it was legal to carry on board (not checked). For the other batteries, I always carry them in a battery case to prevent short circuiting (and potential fire).

@divinh, I have had my larger carry on ( roller bag) checked at the gate but you always get one personal carry on, as long as it fits under the seat. That’s where I kept those items that you mentioned.

Erik

I'm flying across the country with my scuba stuff next week. We're only checking one bag which will have all of our more durable gear like fins, BCDs, masks, wetsuits, etc.

I'll put both my fiancé and my regulators and computers in my carry on bag. Our clothes and toiletries will go in her bag.

All good, but I always have mask in carry on as well (along with computer and regs, etc). The rest I can rent if I had to and get by, but renting a crappy mask stinks. Plus, they can be fragile. Those mask boxes aren't much good.

@divinh, I have had my larger carry on ( roller bag) checked at the gate but you always get one personal carry on, as long as it fits under the seat. That’s where I kept those items that you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply. My one personal carry-on will be my land camera bag, which will also have some underwater camera gear. The carry-on I'm planning for is to have most of my dive gear in carry-on, including fins, wetsuit, etc., but if there's no more overhead space, I'm thinking of having my regulator bag and perhaps another smaller bag with the mask and batteries as a contingency that I can quickly pull out and still fit under the seat or in some small overhead space. What else should I consider essentials to pull out?

I'm thinking of having my regulator bag and perhaps another smaller bag with the mask and batteries as a contingency that I can quickly pull out and still fit under the seat or in some small overhead space. What else should I consider essentials to pull out?

The only thing else I can think of would be your computer, which you mentioned earlier. Otherwise, I think you’re good.

Enjoy your trip!

Back
Top Bottom