Air Usage / Capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTB:
I'm with you on the "1st one up thing". I'm wondering if anyone knows of things one can do on a "day to day" basis to help. Breathing excercises or something. Thoughts?

I don't know if these will work for you, but here are some singing exercises that help me extend my breath support and regulate my breathing.

they might help they might not.

get a metronome (or a watch with a second hand)

exhale completely,
- inhale for a count of 4 at 60bpm (60 beats per minute = 1 beat each second).
- hold for a count of 8
- exhale for a count of 16
- repeat until you can do this comfortably.

what I had to do is start this exercise at around 80-90 bpm, but if you don't have a metronome that's cool.

When you can do the above exercise comfortably, you can try doubling the times (i.e. inhaling for 8, hold for 16, exhale for 32). This ain't easy, but I can do it with relative comfort. Right now, I'm trying to take my click down to 40 bpm on the last exercise and be able to get through 4 cycles without feeling winded.

I've been told that this helps promote a more thorough exchange of gasses in the lungs, and I know that it's increased my lung capacity, but again... I'm training to sing opera.

I've found that these exercises both relax me, and if I'm in the car on a long drive and feeling sleepy, it wakes me up since it gives more oxygen to the brain.

I also practice this exercise underwater (without the holding the breath part.) It gives me something to focus on while just giving me serenity (not that being virtually weightless isn't enough!) I would advise against doing the second exercise or holding your breath lest you come up with one MASSIVE headache from CO2 poisoning. Skip breathing is bad. Very bad and very uncomfortable.

don't know if this will help, but eccola!

- PolsVoice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom