Airfare changed our trip destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info RTB. I did not know why American wouldn't fly to Roatan. Wonder why Delta and Continental will go there without the "proper" medical facilities. Does it mean I was was in a terrible risk situation the 7 times to Roatan? Wow was I lucky to make it!!! Living in Roatan would give you a unique perspective to a lot of Roatan. Hope the lower fees help. Gotta love Roatan.

. Hope the lower fees help. Gotta love Roatan.

What lower fees? Just because for a short time someone found a good price does not mean fees are dropping, They will continue to be much higher thn many other dive destinations.
As to why Delta or Continental fly to the island and American insists on prrof of medical facilites: You would have to inquire with them about that but that is what has been told for many years

EasySky to Start Direct Flights Between Roatan and Ft. Lauderdale | Roatan New Times

Let's see what happens to the pricing when/if this gets off the ground, currently running us$25 one way trips rtb-lce. Bit of competition could be interesting.

Likely these flights, if they do come to fruition will suffer from mny of the same problems Spirit has. While initial prices may be low, once you add in costs for every little luggage item including carry ons, then add in not only the costs for hotels as connections seldom work out from elswhere, is also the valuable vacation time lost. When many have only a weeks vacation, what is that extra travel day or two worth?

We had Blue Angel in Coz on the radar for this year. SLC - RTB has been running a steady $1,000 - $1,200 Continental and Delta. Decided to check in a couple days ago and SLC - RTB on Continental dropped to $550 including taxes and fees. We jumped that's more than $200.00 less than what the fare was when we went Jan 2011. The diving in Coz is wonderful, but the ease/quality of shore diving and the amount of dives we'll get in at CCV wins out.

I have found that it is highly advantageous to check a few airports in the area. I can save about $600 by flying out of BUF or ALB instead of SYR. If you don't mind a little driving it is worth it. I also can't find any direct flights to the west coast out of SYR. It also works on the other end. I have flown into Augusta, GA instead of Columbia, SC and between car rental and flight saved about $900. Check all the angles and it sometimes pays off.

My wife and I were in Roatan 2 summers ago. When making air reservations, prices were high. But what really astonished me was the percentage of each ticket devoted to "taxes and fees." For that trip, the T&F portion made up nearly 40% of the whole. The dollar amount of T&F was substantially higher than it was for trips to Dominica and Bonaire that bracketed the Roatan trip. FWIW, our family had a gathering in northern Ontario last summer and two daughters flew into the downtown Toronto airport via Porter Airlines. A whopping $125 of each ticket price was for "facilities improvement," a fee/tax I've never seen elsewhere.

We changed our honeymoon plans based primarily because of airfare costs. The difference in airfare allowed us to double the length of our trip. We're also opting to ship our gear/luggage for an upcoming trip because of baggage fees.

I just booked me and my wife from Atlanta to Roatan (Jan 7-14) for 520.00 each, tax included (1040.00 total) flying on United/Continental with a 2 hour layover in Houston... Saved a grand and that is fine by me...!!! Leaving ATL @ 6:30 or so and arriving Roatan @ 13:10...!

Saved my points for when I need them...!

lee

Great prices right now for end of Feburary & first of March! Watch out for colored feet......................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom