Airline destroyed bag with BCD's in it- how to check them out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On a recent return flight from a dive trip, the air line destroyed our hard sided suitcase with our BCD's in it. It appears to have been run over multiple times. Where the plastic is not shattered, you can see the lines where it was crushed. Airline is making good on the bag, I don't know about the BCD's. My wing bladder is removable so it's easy enough to inspect.

My wife's Aqualung Pearl is a jacket type with no way to inspect the bladder. The bag was obviously crushed so I'm worried about the bladder being pinched and weakened. We dive Nitrox to close to depth limits so I'm concerned the if she was caught in a down current, a bladder failure could be more serious than if she were on air.

I'm checking with the manufacturers as well, but wanted to run it by the experts here. My local dive shop (who does not sell Aqualung) said the safest thing to do is replace it. There is no way to know of it was damaged without opening up the BCD. She really likes this BCD so he knows he is not getting the sale. The advice was not just a sales tactic.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 215
If it was mine, I would oral inflate as much as possible and leave it overnight. If it's still hard in the morning then I would be ok diving it.

Obviously a good inspection of all buckles straps etc would also be a good idea.

Holy Moly! They took some effort with that! Good thing it was a hard shell case. I'd just inflate it until you pop the OPV then let it sit for 24 hrs. The bladder shouldn't see much stress as it the shell that actually takes the load. If there is an obvious pinch in the shell then I'd start looking harder

If it was mine, I would oral inflate as much as possible and leave it overnight. If it's still hard in the morning then I would be ok diving it.

Obviously a good inspection of all buckles straps etc would also be a good idea.
This exactly. Or, since it was a return trip, take it to your LDS. However, that costs money and is probably pretty much exactly the same thing they would do... just they would hook it to a tank instead of oral inflate I'm guessing.

This. Give the BCD a good visual check and tug on all the straps and connections. Check all the fittings (corrugated hose, OPV etc) for tightness. Inflate and if possible do a water check for bubbling and then leave for a few hours but if it is holding air I would say you are good.

I can only imagine what you said when you saw the bag coming around the conveyor to you and realized it was yours.

I'd replace it! Wtf, did they launch your bag out the plane from 37,000 feet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom