AKR Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agwatts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Back from a week at AKR and man what a treat. Excellent weather, awesome viz, three dives a day.

My girlfriend had a great time too. Great snorkeling, Dolphins, Zip Line...

Will do this again.

Greg:D

Yay, glad you had a great time!

3 weeks and we are off to Bonaire!!

How about some details about your stay. My wife and I are considering AKR for a trip this October, and I would love some input about the rooms, food, hospitality, etc.

I was watching a new episode of House Hunters International on HGTV the other night and it was in Roatan. They had a couple shots of AKR, including the homeowner laying in one of the hammocks, I was jealous! AKR definitly has more of a tropical paradise feel to it compared to some other Caribbean designations.

Our DM was Marvin and our Captain was Kennerly, on the boat "Isamar" Great guys. Marvin was an awesome DM. He has been a DM for seven years and knows the reef very well. He lead us to a seahorse...my first. On our first night dive we got to watch a Teal Caribbean Ring Octopus hunt for food. Awesome!

Greg

Depending on the type of room you booked. The Hill rooms are not on Anthony's Key. But rather across the key along with the restaurant, dive shop, dive center, and everything else for that matter.

Anthony's Key has about 30+ bungalow's. Most with air conditioning. We stayed in room #49. It sits on the west end with the balcony or deck, looking west and at Bailey's Key. We could hear the waves breaking on the reef and lap under our room. The rooms are rustic and airy, with screened windows, which allows for the shutters to be open in the evening for an awesome nights sleep.

Sun up at 6:00 AM and gets you ready to start your day by taking the water taxi from the key to the stairs which lead you to the restaurant where you have breakfast in the open air watching the day unfold.

From breakfast you walk to the dive center, get your gear from your locker, board your boat where our Captain or DM sets up your gear. Relax, enjoy the ride, and get ready to get wet.

You get three dives a day...8:30, 10:30 and 2:30. With available night dives on Tuesday and Thursday. They have shore diving available and plenty of snorkeling.

For the non-diver, AKR provides guided snorkel outings on a boat two times a day...11:00 AM and 2:30 PM. AKR has the Dolphin Encounter, Dolphin Snorkel, and Dolphin Dive. These are not an all-in-one package but are separate activities. On Thursday they bus all the non-divers over to another AKR Key, airport side, I think it's called "Fins and Flippers". AKR puts on a BBQ, the island has a nice pool and a very nice beach entry snorkeling.

Wednesday night is the "Beach Party BBQ" with fire dancers, limbo, and crab races. Kinda fun.

Friday is the Zip Line Canopy tour...highly recommended. Lots of fun and very cool playing in the trees. The zip line takes you from the top of the hill all the way to the beach.

In all the food is good, the water is safe, the service is good, the staff are great and very helpful. We had no problem with the bugs, at all.

It's the resort layout, diving, and the true feeling of "Paradise" that got us. We will be going back.

I hope this gives you some info.

Greg:D

Thanks for the info, I am taking my 3 kids plus Mom & Dad to AKR for 2 weeks in June, I can't wait!!

Did you do anything special for the bugs or they were just no problem? How far to the closest store for drinks and rum? How was the food?

Thanks again for the info

CRJScott

We stayed at AKR 2 years ago and also had an awesome time. Dives were relaxed and fun and lots of time for just lazin' around in between.

As for the bugs, the no-see-ums - OMG - Seriously ! Be sure to slather yourself anytime you're not in the water. We faithfully coated ourselves in Cactus Juice except for the day we had a fiesta lunch on another island. After lunch we just hung out in the hammocks till the boat departed and I got bit big time - all over - looked like I had chicken pox for 2 weeks after we got home. Didn't actually hurt, just looked completely bad, and itched beyond belief.

Even so, the bites didn't hold me back from any dives, including a dolphin dive.

AKR is definitely a diver's resort and we had a great time !

Back
Top Bottom