Akumal, Playa Del Carmen, Coz Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asking them for the dollar amount to fill is a good idea, but it doesn't keep them from trying the bill switch that we are talking about. Doesn't matter what you ask them for, when you hand them the right bill, it magically becomes the wrong bill. 500 peso notes magically turn into 50 peso notes, 200 peso notes magically turn into 20 peso notes. It the most amazing thing, who knew David Blaine worked at a gas station? They do the switch light lightening and then they give you a big smile and say "Oh senior, it's 200 pesos, you gave me 20 pesos and hand you the bill back." Many tourists simply chock it up to themselves being less than adept with the foreign currency and figure they did make the mistake and give them another 200 peso bill.

I forgot to mention that you should be sure of what you gave them (as DandyDon suggested), and if they pull something like that, just say "no, I gave you 200" (or something more harsh) and drive away. If you have time, it isn't a bad idea to go inside and complain.

---------- Post added July 9th, 2015 at 07:59 AM ----------

Like Don is saying They are like any criminal, they size up their targets, when you create a presence that shows you're on point they typically look for an easier target.

Basically what I do is pull up and get out of the car, tell the attendant what I want, stand there while he pumps, look at the pump to read the amount and hand him the amount required. When handing it to him for instance a 500 peso note, I make eye contact hold the bill up and show it to him, sometimes I snap it, but always say the amount out loud, hesitating for a split second, the attendant typically makes some sort of acknowledgement with a head nod or something during this tiny awkward moment, (he's probably thinking WTF gringo????) then I hand him the note and it's all good. It's one of those silent "I know, that you know, that I know that you know that I know what you're up to."

They generally give up trying to rip you off when you get out of the car, stand there and make eye contact and get acknowledgement. You give them the impression you know what's going on and they pass on you and will wait for an easier rube they can take advantage of. Never had a problem since doing it this way.

The problem with handing them 500 (unless of course the total is 500) is that they now have the money and owe you money. They will try every which way to short change you and pretend not to understand what you are saying and you lose money if you just drive away.

I have been told by people living in Mexico that the attendants get paid little or nothing and if they don't get tips they can't make it. Some claim that some of the attendants work only for tips and what they can steal. A few times I have simply told the attendant starting out that if they don't cheat me I'll give them a tip. They have given me a real funny look and played square.

I don't know if that's true or not in regard to them working for nothing, but the ones who are cheating tourists in the high traffic area around cancun must be making a lot of money!

I love Mexico and keep going back, but the scaminess of the place really irritates me. I try to treat everyone there as I would like to be treated and always tip the gas attendants as long as they don't try any games. The whole currency game is another one that really pisses me off, I'm sure some of these businesses there are making as much profit from the currency scam as they do from their services they offer. Would be nice not to have to deal with the gamesmanship on every trip there, the ones who are out to take advantage of tourists and treat tourists like opportunities to prey on them really make it hard on the honest, truly good hearted Mexicans that make up the majority of the people you will meet. I try to shake it off after dealing with a Mexican piranha and not let it jade me or effect my interactions with the honest ones. But having to constantly be on guard on vacation kind of stinks, but that't the way the big tourist areas of Mexico are, why also getting farther out to the smaller places is so refreshing, the people are more genuine and not out to scam you.

The problem with handing them 500 (unless of course the total is 500) is that they now have the money and owe you money. They will try every which way to short change you and pretend not to understand what you are saying and you lose money if you just drive away.

Well, like I said they never try anything anymore when you follow what I said. The criminals at the Pemex are very good at sizing up their victims, they are like sharks they prey on the weak and are opportunists, they are sizing you up as soon as you pull up, when you break the typical mold of the happy smiling head in the clouds tourist on his first trip to Mexico looking for the next Carlos and Charlies they pass you up and wait for an easier victim. Just like the scum bags here in the USA who prey on women at repair shops and the elderly in home improvement scams, criminals have a profile of the victim that fits their crime, when they see you don't fit it they move on looking for someone who does. Like anywhere be it Mexico or somewhere else once you know what the crime looks like, it's easier to avoid it. Now you want to talk about professional criminals, the gypsies in Europe make the Mexican Pemex boys look like amateurs.

Last edited:
We ended up booking through American Car Rental. Volkswagon, automatic with a/c and all insurance included for $377. Located right at the Airport in Cancun. Thanks for all the suggestions :)

If you chose the Riviera Maya as your destination, it is very important to remember that Enjoy Riviera Maya is the compagny to offer you a vacation that will live up to your expectations.

Living in Playa Del Carmen since 2005, Frank Bizier, president of the compagny, and his team are here to let you adventure the many natural beauties found in Mexico. Enjoy Riviera Maya – Enjoy Riviera Maya

Experience snorkeling, visiting cenotes or even swimming with turtles... Would you like to boost your adrenaline by hiking up Mayan ruins or pyramids? Fortunately, everything offered by us are part of our specialties.

Thanks to the different skills and certifications that our guides hold, all tours and excursions are planned depending on what you like. And no matter what your physical condition or age is, everyone is welcome…

In a life, anything is possible, and that being said, you should be enjoying it with Enjoy Riviera Maya!

info@enjoyrivieramaya.com.mx + 52 1 984 807 0936

You won't regret renting a car, there is lots to see and really the driving is easy. Just do slow down for the "topes."

Blue Experience and Dive with Natalie and Ivan both work out of the Akumal Dive Center. All three operations are careful and professional.

FT:
You won't regret renting a car, there is lots to see and really the driving is easy. Just do slow down for the "topes."
Yeah, and their left turn rules are different.

So excited, we are leaving in the morning! Can't wait to get there and will report when we return with photos :) Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom