Aladin AirX and Air X Nitrox Users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mariebahn

Registered
Reaction score
To All Uwatec Aladin AirX or Air X Nitrox Users and Former Owners

Forward: I am new to this board, and until it affected me, was unaware of a service issue with Uwatec Aladin AirX and Air X Nitrox computers (battery replacement). After reading prior posts, particularly those in July 2004 under Aladin Air X Users Needed, it’s apparent that many of you already know what I’m about to report. If so, I apologize for the redundancy. If you are a former owner of a dead Air X (regular or Nitrox), I’d like to know if you took advantage of Scubapro’s upgrade program (to a comparable Air Z), and at what cost. If you are a current owner/user, I hope the following may be helpful .

Just wondering if your computer is still working. If it is, take note…

Last summer, in preparation for an extended international trip that starts next month, I tried to get the battery on my Air X Nitrox replaced. I called Scubapro/Uwatec direct, and was told that there was plenty of battery life left (51%), and that unless the battery was at 10% or less, they wouldn’t replace it. They also told me that, since it took almost seven years to use the first 1/2 of the battery, the remaining charge should last another seven years. Sound familiar (it will if you’ve read similar threads)? After a trip last September, the battery was at 49%, and all seemed well.

In December, the battery was still at 49%. This past weekend, I started to put my equipment together to pack, and when I checked the battery, all I got was an error message (ERR) (i.e. battery deader than dead). This time, when I called Scubapro, they indicated (as many already know), that they no longer service the Aladin Air X Nitrox. This would have been good information to impart when I called last summer, but from what I've since learned, they don't offer the upgrade until you're at 30% or under.

I'm not sure what percentage of owners actually see 30% (or 10%). From my recent research, it seems fairly common for the remaining life to drop from around 50% to ERR in a heartbeat. A prior poster who indicated that remaining life is not actual, but a calculation of the estimated life minus usage is likely correct. It also seems that this calculation does not take into account that batteries lose charge over time, so the older the battery, the less likely that the calculation is anywhere near correct.

Now that I am weeks from departure, lucky me, my dead battery makes me eligible to trade in my computer for an Air Z Nitrox, with one major catch. I can't do this on my own (through Uwatec/Scubapro). I must go through an authorized dealer WHO CAN CHARGE WHATEVER THEY WANT for this service. I've read accounts from many others (several in Australia) who paid between $150 and $300 (converted to US$) for the exchange. Lucky people. The first three dive shops that I contacted, which are the only dealers within 20 miles, wanted between $500 and $600. They apparently know that you're between a rock and hard place, and try to sell you on the "deal" that you're getting by not having to pay the retail price of $900 or $999 or whatever it is. Unfortunately, once you know it's open season on consumers, and that the manufacturer and dealers are complicit in the process, it's hard to feel anything but screwed.

I'm not sure what the dealer's cost is (other than a box and postage to return the defunct computers to Scubapro) but if anything, it's nominal. What they can charge, however, is not limited (according to Scubapro). Scubapro was, shall we say, somewhat dismayed to learn of the prices I had been quoted, but offered that I could request the exchange at any dealer in the country, and was welcome to shop for the best price. What an option. They also indicated that I should take advantage of the exchange, as the new computers have free battery replacement for life. A nice feature, unless, like the computer I already have, they decide in a couple years not to service it any longer, and are instead promoting a new and improved model.

I should take a moment to mention how completely satisfied I was with my Air X Nitrox while it was living. It served me well over the years, was easy to use, never malfunctioned, and offered a lot of nice features. Yes, it would be nice if the time and temp were displayed rather than stored in memory only, but overall, it was a great computer. If it had been lost or stolen, I'd have purchased the Air Z Nitrox as a replacement. In fact, I'd be a walking testimonial for these computers if it weren't for the situation I find myself in.

I haven't decided what I'll do, and am still pursuing my case with Scubapro. Regardless of the outcome, it would be nice if there were a fair and equitable solution for all who owned the computer, as opposed to a money making opportunity for the dealers. My recent experience has certainly detracted from what would otherwise be an unqualified endorsement of the product.

If memory serves, the Air Z line was introduced within a year after I purchased my Air X (early 1998). This means that if you own and use an Air X of any kind, and it's not already dead, it will be soon. Regardless of what it says on the display. I would caution anyone who has an Air X not to rely on it's continued function, particularly if they are traveling, don't have a set of back up equipment, or mind using whatever equipment is available (which I'm guessing would be most if they're paying good money for their own equipment to begin with). I would also suggest researching exchange options before they're needed. Unless you find a dealer with comparable Air Z model in stock that is willing to exchange it for your old computer, hence reducing inventory until they receive what is sent in exchange for your computer (which will be newer and have a fresher battery), you could be without your computer for weeks. Allow additional time if the shop isn’t in the same rush as you to send your equipment out.

If you are a dive shop owner or technician with ready access to tools and spare parts (computer, hoses, gauges, or another airless computer and transmitter), and can reconfigure your equipment on the fly, or if you are a Scubapro dealer, this warning doesn't apply to you. Nor does it apply if you don't mind spending $500-600, in essence, to replace a dead battery. Everyone else, beware...

Call Larry at Scuba Toys. They're a ScubaPro/Uwatec dealer. I imagine they can help you out over the phone. My experience has been that Larry gives you a very fair price for gear....even the stuff he cannot sell over the internet.

I can understand how you feel because I'm in the exact situation like you. bought it (Air X) in 1999 and the Air Z came out 6 month later.
I'm even considering taking a loss, spitting into Scubapro face and buying me a Suunto in order not to support such business practices.
That's why I laugh about the rants of the guy that is angry at Mares because they wouldn't service his ancient Dacor regs that cost only a fraction of these damn computers but doesn't see anything wrong with Scubapros behaviour concerning these pricewise top of the line computers.

mariebahn:
The first three dive shops that I contacted, which are the only dealers within 20 miles, wanted between $500 and $600. They apparently know that you're between a rock and hard place, and try to sell you on the "deal" that you're getting by not having to pay the retail price of $900 or $999 or whatever it is.
$650 at LP without trade-in. So they're not offering much of a deal at all. I cut loss on Uwatec and bought a Suunto.

You also may want to consider a cochran. They have a trade in program that accepts other manufacturer's computers. The commander is a nice computer that has user replaceable batteries. The commander can be upgraded later for more memory or different mixes. It doesn't seem like cochran will stop supporting this computer soon.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

With only a few weeks before I embark on my trip, if I want to exchange my computer, I'm pretty much at the mercy of a dealer that I can drive to. Sending my computer to an out-of town dealer, who then has to send it to an out-of-town manufacturer, is not really an option because of timing (unless I add overnight charges X 4). The other problem is the transmitter. I'd either have to have it removed and reinstalled locally (additional cost X2), or send my regulator with the computer to the out-of-dealer, putting me at risk of having to replace two pieces of expensive equipment if anything goes astray.

While I'd be interested to know what other dealers are charging (or their thoughts on the matter), with the time constraints, it seems too big a risk to deal with a shop that I can't get to. And, in the long run, I'm not sure that I'd be saving any money.

I have to have a back up plan, which is to buy new equipment if this exchange doesn't work out (or work out in time). Probably a second regulator, which I was going to do eventually anyway, and a suunto computer. My preference would be to use what I already have on this trip, rather than to rely on brand new equipment that I won't have time to test, but I may have no choice. Does anyone have experience changing transmitters between regulators in case I end up with two setups, and want to change which computer I use with my primary regulator at the last minute ? Bear in mind, that where I'm going, "any local dive shop or technician can do this" does not apply. There may be someone available who can do this, but I'm not sure I can count on it.

You can easily change the transmitter yourself using an adjustable wrench. I have done it many times--no expertise is required. Just don't overtighten it.

Going through the same exactly. Have been speaking with Uwatec-ScubaPro-JohnsonOutdoor (parent company), not much help.

I hate them but do not like anything else!!!

As far as your transmitter... all you do is unscrew it, when you screw it back in all you have to do is hand tighten it just as you attach your regulater yolk to your tank valve, not too tight.

I really like the, sleek bar graph display although a bit weired, hour glass configuration. I just dont understand what Uwatec was thinking shafting its customers, if only I knew, I would have stayed away, and stayed away from getting sucked into a product that I love so much, now just starring at that ERR on the display... what gives... it has power to display that but otherwise nothing else!

I was told upon purchase that NO PROBLEM, that Uwatec would service the battery when need to. So I like you believe "they decide in a couple years not to service it any longer, and are instead promoting a new and improved model".

I am going back and forth with emails, and inquirying with my local dive stores. Will post back if anything significant develops.

LAST NOTE I found a post on the web that if you have the memo mouse (get this I was considering purchaseing that equipment recently HA now its dead thank god, I would have torn Uwatec a new ************) anyway they said use of the wakeup command may restart the dive computer. I dont know do not have the means to try.

ARRG!

Very unhappy.

Amoney -

I have a memo mouse and tried connecting the computer if only to see if I could read the settings. Several were adjusted years before I had the memo mouse, and I never thought to jot down what had been adjusted, and to what levels.

I tried "waking up" the computer. Needless to say, it didn't work. I don't remember the exact error message, but it was something along the lines of "computer needs service". Once the battery is dead, there's little that you can do.

I wish you better luck than I had with Scubapro. I opted for the trade in, as I, too, really like the computer. However, I'm still miffed about the circumstances, and plan on writing to Johnson Outdoors. Unfortunately, now that a solution is at hand, I can already feel that I'm losing steam. I'm sure that they're counting on this (that once you replace the computer, either through them or with another brand, you'll move on with your life and let the matter drop).

What irks me even more is the attitude at Scubapro. While one of the people I spoke with was pleasant (but unable to do anything other than relate policy), another was outright condescending. He totally missed the fact that I'm in the situation I'm in because they weren't honest with me when I called last year, and insinuated that I was tight with money. I refrained from responding that I wasn't a cheapskate, I'm what a lawyer would refer to as a "member of class". It's hard to explain that it's not the money, it's the principle of the thing, when the lack of principle is what the other person is defending.

I've heard of planned obsolescence, but forced obsolescence is another matter entirely. Just wondering what sales would have been if this had been marketed as "the world's first disposable dive computer", which is esentially, what it has become...

BTW - Thanks to you and Vladimir for the information on removing the transmitter. Now that I've seen it apart, there is no mystery, but I wouldn't have tampered with it before knowing.

A point of clarification -

In my original post, I indicated that I was aware of someone who received a replacement computer for $150 (converted to US $). I was told that this was fiction, impossible, or perhaps the transmitter. When I checked my facts, I learned that this was not an upgrade to a comparable AirZ. This owner did, in fact, receive a new replacement computer in lieu of a battery change, but it was another AirX (apparently, this was offered before the AirZ upgrade, while AirX's were still available).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom