Aladin pro battery question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, there are still people who need battery replacement for their ancient Aladin (like me), so it was not for nothing.:wink:

Agreed! I recently bought an Aladin Pro for $5 off craigslist after seeing this thread knowing I could probably replace it myself. Once I got it, I opened it up (really easy, at least with this computer) and bought a new battery for $18 (RadioShack 3.6V Lithium...3x the price of the computer!) added a couple drops of solder, and it came back to life. Thanks guys for keeping this thread alive.

I concur with multistrada. I have a similar device that has sat on the shelf without the battery in it for several years. I just replaced the 3.6 lithium with a similar battery that does not have the tabs on it. I had to clean the posts and use soldering paste to get the red wire (+'ve) and blue wire (-'ve) to stick. The unit beeps when you first solder, appears to do a self check, and it looks like it's come back to life. By using wetted fingers it scrolls between the 10 logbook memory locations. I haven't tested it yet diving so I'm cautiously optimistic. Comments from others?

sounds like what happened with mine. stuck in the new battery, beeps, then runs through some of its logic. wet fingers activate it.

took it diving, worked great. haven't used it much since - don't like having such a clunky item on my wrist.

sounds like what happened with mine. stuck in the new battery, beeps, then runs through some of its logic. wet fingers activate it.

took it diving, worked great. haven't used it much since - don't like having such a clunky item on my wrist.

I am sure it will be fine, these units were almost indestructable, gave you all the info you needed and the battery change is a breeze.

I found one once under water, it had been submerged for days, it was already getting marine life starting to attach to it and was still running, I brought it up to the surface and just left it in my bag to sort itself out.

A few days later I used it for a dive, and it worked perfectly - gave it to a mate and he used it for years after - Uwatec was a differant company in those days, their products were some of the best and years ahead of their time.

C:
I've had an Aladin Pro for 20 years now and it has never failed me (until it ran out of juice in Tikehau last November). Giles got me a new battery flown out to Tikehau from Papeete and my problems were solved. Still going strong. The kit comes with a new battery (obviously), a new plug seal and a tool to change it. The guy here in Wollongong built an Aluminum cage over the computer. This is what I did to replace the bulky mess on my arm (why replace your gauges when you don't need to and have one strapped to your arm?) A guy in Wollongong Australia made this up for me. No need for new gauges. Please find a photo of my gauge setup here

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/uploads/79746/Aladin_Pro.jpg

Just been reading with interest about changing the battery in the old (mid 1990's) Alladin Pro. Mine died on me yesterday when I was coming up the anchor line from 34 metres down (don't ask me what that is in feet...I'm Australian). So you can imagine how I felt as I was easily in deco-time.
This is one with three buttons.
Yep well I just managed to break into the unit, gave the unit to a mate of mine, who happens to be a computer nerd, he ordered the battery from England for $20.
But my main question is...what type of oil is used to after the battery has been replaced. As when I opened the unit oil happened to spill across the carpet.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I'm keeping this thread alive by exploring what I'm doing to bring an inactive Beuchat computer back up to working status.

After reading most of the other posts, I got this out of the console and looked it over.
IMG_8161.JPG

It has a number on the front: 21101 and the back shows an inspection of 11/87 which I assume was when it was manufactured.

Contrary to some of the posts about no access and oil, the has an easily accessible battery compartment on the side.

Here's a tip: If you don't have a suitable spanner to fit the two small holes to remove the cap (this has no coin slot), use a couple of jewelers screwdrivers or tiny drill bits to place into the holes - then clamp together with some needlenose vice grips. This works great!
IMG_8164.JPG

You can't get the battery out without unsoldering the red (positive lead). When you do, you can pull it out of the case and then unsolder the blue (negative).

With it out, here's what you see.

beuchatbattery.jpg

The challenge is to find out whether the kit (with new cover/o-ring) and battery is available anywhere or how to find the correct replacement battery.

I've contacted Beuchat with the unit number and have asked for the battery specs. Others have posted that it is 3.6V Lithium but a check of online battery suppliers shows a dizzying selection of batteries. It appears to be this one at Batteryweb.com which is a 3.6V, 2250 AH. Lithium Thionyl Chloride, AA with tabs.

ls14500-t.jpg

Questions

1. Can anyone confirm that this is the right battery?
  2. Is this model (with battery access on the side) not oil-filled in the battery area?
  3. Is a cap with a new o-ring available?

More when available...

I'm keeping this thread alive by exploring what I'm doing to bring an inactive Beuchat computer back up to working status.

After reading most of the other posts, I got this out of the console and looked it over.
IMG_8161.JPG

It has a number on the front: 21101 and the back shows an inspection of 11/87 which I assume was when it was manufactured.

Contrary to some of the posts about no access and oil, the has an easily accessible battery compartment on the side.

Here's a tip: If you don't have a suitable spanner to fit the two small holes to remove the cap (this has no coin slot), use a couple of jewelers screwdrivers or tiny drill bits to place into the holes - then clamp together with some needlenose vice grips. This works great!
IMG_8164.JPG

You can't get the battery out without unsoldering the red (positive lead). When you do, you can pull it out of the case and then unsolder the blue (negative).

With it out, here's what you see.

beuchatbattery.jpg

The challenge is to find out whether the kit (with new cover/o-ring) and battery is available anywhere or how to find the correct replacement battery.

I've contacted Beuchat with the unit number and have asked for the battery specs. Others have posted that it is 3.6V Lithium but a check of online battery suppliers shows a dizzying selection of batteries. It appears to be this one at Batteryweb.com which is a 3.6V, 2250 AH. Lithium Thionyl Chloride, AA with tabs.

ls14500-t.jpg

Questions

2. Is this model (with battery access on the side) not oil-filled in the battery area?

More when available...
Your computer looks exactly like the original (black) Aladin.
I've got the grey one, which was the next model, had it since 1988 (?) or thereabouts. The battery you ask about is the correct one. I'm about to replace mine for the third time - its been 8 years since the last one!!! Its an easy solder job, never had a problem before.

Don't know if you can still get replacement doors, kinda doubt it. I'd check / replace the O ring, that would seem to be the most important bit.

Good luck!

Last edited:

More when available...

Yes, that will be fine, the main thing is the battery has solder tabs. Just solder the wires directly to the tabs.

No, theres no oil in the battery area compartment, its a very basic user changeable battery.

Caps, no, I havent seen a new one for years, I guess there will be some ferreted away somewhere, but as long as its in reasonable shape thread and head wise, (from the pic it looks fine) just change the o-ring and you are good to go.

That old Beuchat was made by Uwatec and is just a rebranded Aladin sport, super computers and almost bullet proof, theres no set up after changing the battery or anything, just switch it on and let it run for a few minutes and it will be fine.

Just as a matter of interest, that is not the original battery, the unit is from the late 80's but the battery has been changed before, probably more than once and most likely by the then Beuchat agents in the USA.

The way you can tell is by the Marlin emblem, look carefully and you will see the Marlin emblem on the computer faces "backwards" and the Marlin emblem on the battery faces "forwards" - this was a change Beuchat made to their logo in about 90 / 91 (I would have to check to be exact, but its close enough) pre 91 all the Marlin logos faced backwards and post 91 the Marlin logos all faced forward. So you can be sure the battery has been changed before, at least once and post 91.

Just a bit of useless info.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom