• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Albino Nurse Shark

Discussion in 'Shark Forum!' started by Rob9876, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Rob9876

Rob9876 Barracuda

My son was able to get some pretty good shots of an albino nurse shark that we encountered on a wreck near Panama City Beach, Florida over Memorial Day weekend: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAlmsFgg5IM/

2. Rob9876

Rob9876 Barracuda

Specifically, this was on the deck of the Black Bart wreck.

3. Pearlman

Pearlman Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    GoodShot! What causes Sharks to become albinos?

4. Rob9876

Rob9876 Barracuda

Good question, not a ton of information on these, but from what I was able to find it appears to be caused by "a blocked gene crucial to pigment formation" -- and some think that blocked gene could be caused by malnutrition of the mother.

5. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere Waiting for the zombies ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    maybe they will become like the pink dolphins of the amazon.

i wonder if the lack of pigmentation helps or hinders their survivability

6. JMBL

JMBL Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    From what I've read (so beware it's second hand info, I'm no scientist so it maybe a load of non-sense) : albinos are very rare, because their particularity make them easy target for predators, as they are easily spotted. Among herds, other animal of the group tend to chase or even kill them, as they attract attention on the group.

Rob9876 and Pearlman like this.
  7. Rob9876

Rob9876 Barracuda

I've also read that the lighter color of albino sharks makes predators (including other sharks) think of them as prey.

8. drrich2

drrich2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Albinism defeats camouflage, making creatures easier to see in their vulnerable, juvenile stage. It's generally seen as decreasing survival odds.

In humans, albinism increases risk for UV-damage from sunlight.

In the pet industry, albino red-eared slider turtles are sometimes visually impaired as young juveniles (I've not been reading up on the pet turtle hobby for awhile, but did often years ago).

Don't know much about the pink dolphins of the Amazon, but it's worth noting the Amazon is a muddy river, not a high-viz. environment.

9. formernuke

formernuke ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    To long at depth without sun exposure will cause things to become less tanned aka white...... sorry couldn't resist.

To be serious, I believe its a genetic trait that both parents must have for it to take effect. Not completely sure but I remeber reading that somewhere.