Aldora worth the $$$?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr.RNA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be heading to Cozumel (for my first time) in late June and I was wondering if Aldora is worth the extra cost.

Do a search and you will find that this subject has been discussed ad nauseum.

Dr.RNA:
I will be heading to Cozumel (for my first time) in late June and I was wondering if Aldora is worth the extra cost.
On the one hand you get what you pay for, but on the other only you can decide if what you are buying is worth what you spend. To me in this case, no; to others, apparently so.

I'll tell you when we get back from our trip on April 1st :)

Aldora has been my DO of choice for about 7 years.

You are asking us to make a value judgement for you. It is a very subjective thing.

What are you looking for in a dive OP?

Large tanks? Other OPs have large steel tanks too.

Advanced diving? Even going with an "advanced" OP might not mean going to the advanced dive sites. To insure going to the dive sites you want, charter is the only way to go.

While I have not dove with them in about 5 years I assume they are still about the same...they fit my style small groups, fast boats and long dives...a lot depends on your skill level and the DM you have...if your skills are up and you get a more tech type DM you can do some sweet stuff....hey even though Coz ain't what it was before the "cane- it still beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...you are the one that has to make it fun...

What makes Aldora "worth it" to me is staying at their villa. My 3 teens, wife, and I stay their for about $600 for a whole week. They have an assortment of rooms and rates. Great location, full kitchen, great villa. Girls on the beach all day - me and the boys snorkel. When diving, you step out the door and walk 25 feet to the dock and the boat picks you up right there. Fantastic location - just north of town, quiet, but close enough to town if you want to walk. If not, cab for $3 - $4.

I absolutely agree with tstonedvr - small groups, fast boats & long dives make Aldora #1 with me. I did 8 days of diving with them in November and will definitely use them again when I go back.

tstonedvr:
While I have not dove with them in about 5 years I assume they are still about the same...they fit my style small groups, fast boats and long dives...a lot depends on your skill level and the DM you have...if your skills are up and you get a more tech type DM you can do some sweet stuff....hey even though Coz ain't what it was before the "cane- it still beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...you are the one that has to make it fun...

vanDavid:
I absolutely agree with tstonedvr - small groups, fast boats & long dives make Aldora #1 with me. I did 8 days of diving with them in November and will definitely use them again when I go back.

Many of the other ops on the island have small groups and fast boats, too.

Back
Top Bottom