Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, does that mean if you had 'extra' boats with permits, you'd stick to the mainstream diving region of Cozumel, rather than send one to operate routinely out of the north?

Which raises a question for you folks who've done the northern-based Aldora dives. Is that diving something better, as-good-but-different, or less desirable than the mainstream Cozumel diving but still plenty good so as to beat sitting at your hotel when the Harbor Master closes Caleta Harbor, etc...?

I'm curious how many Aldora customers when the weather's nice & the harbor's open hit them up to make some north coast trips instead of diving the marine park that day.

Richard.

'm curious how many Aldora customers when the weather's nice & the harbor's open hit them up to make some north coast trips instead of diving the marine park that day.

I usually request one day to go North but it does not always happen. i probably have 70-80 dives in Cozumel, and could honestly dive Cedral, Francesca, or Santa Rosa wall every day and not get bored...but I do love Barracuda on the North end, especially when the currents are moving. It's The closest thing to flying like superman I can do. It will test your skills and if the group gets spread out, you have to be on your toes to drop behind the coral head at the same time. A few times divers used to, or expecting, a slow relaxing dive, or with a big camera set up, will surface saying things like "NEVER AGAIN." It's a roller coaster. Once you know that, or want that, it's a blast. That being said, I use air like a new diver on this dive and 50 minutes is about all you get. I guess I would call them down currents, or maybe your going so fast you don't notice the change in depth, but we hit 103 feet last time and I would have sworn we stayed around 80. It's a lot of fun, but one trip to the North is all I want to do per trip, then back to my easy, old dude, easy chair drift dives.

San Juan is a shallower dive with beautiful finger coral. Definately different and unlike any of the Southern sites.

Our last trip North was with DM Sharif. Probably the best DM we have ever had anywhere and he mentioned that there were lots of sites to the North. Aldora offers a 3 tank dive to the North under their Special Operations tab. I'd love to do it, but have not yet.

Aldora Adventures

Looks like my birthday trip in April will be replaced with a week later trip to Belize. (Always keep the wife happy) Next October we will be back with Aldora for Day of the Dead. Hope to see y'all there!

Safe travels everyone,
Jay

Another good point about Aldora was I saw one of their DMs picking up trash from the beach SI. I commended him and he showed me some cash he found! He said that he does that every day. Also went to sites I have never been before with the other three dive companies and Aldora had different routes. Loved Devils Throat with the big hunky DM, his name starts with a V. (Roar) Windy days, they stage their boats on the east side where the guys sleep onboard - which is just another way of Aldora going above and beyond service-wise. I don't think I can quit diving just yet after my Aldora experience.

Another good point about Aldora was I saw one of their DMs picking up trash from the beach SI. I commended him and he showed me some cash he found! He said that he does that every day. Also went to sites I have never been before with the other three dive companies and Aldora had different routes. Loved Devils Throat with the big hunky DM, his name starts with a V. (Roar) Windy days, they stage their boats on the east side where the guys sleep onboard - which is just another way of Aldora going above and beyond service-wise. I don't think I can quit diving just yet after my Aldora experience.

Valroth, I dove with him many years ago. He left and now he's back. All of the DM's are good there. Liang, Dario, Sharief ... So many great DM's!!!

So, does that mean if you had 'extra' boats with permits, you'd stick to the mainstream diving region of Cozumel, rather than send one to operate routinely out of the north?

Which raises a question for you folks who've done the northern-based Aldora dives. Is that diving something better, as-good-but-different, or less desirable than the mainstream Cozumel diving but still plenty good so as to beat sitting at your hotel when the Harbor Master closes Caleta Harbor, etc...?

I'm curious how many Aldora customers when the weather's nice & the harbor's open hit them up to make some north coast trips instead of diving the marine park that day.

Richard.
If they would let me I'd dive north every day. We usually meet halfway:). You have to have the right people and the conditions do not always work out. I've been humbled up there. I've done the adventure dives and they are different, fun and the hunting great. I'd do them more often if I wasn't with my non-diving wife. East side can be very interesting as well, plus good hunting.

San Juan is a shallower dive with beautiful finger coral. Definately different and unlike any of the Southern sites.
My first dive on San Juan was the May after Wilma, and I was amazed to see all the intact finger coral there. Apparently Wilma's northern eyewall that did so much damage to the island and especially to the shallower reefs as it moved slowly northward didn't get that far before the storm moved off.

Richard.

Not necessarily - it's not that black and white. You don't need a dedicated boat for diving up north as these sites like Barracuda, San Juan, Cantarrel are not far away and we dive those sites regularly. But I think you're missing the point. If I had boats that did not have permits, meaning I could ONLY operate them outside of the park - that is how I would make use of those boats as well.

But when one pays a premium price for steel tanks and a “longer bottom time,” the time factor can become an almost paramount concern. As has been demonstrated repeatedly in prior SB threads.
When I dive with Aldora I don't pay a premium to have longer bottom time. I pay a premium to dive south of Palancar EVERY day. I don't know of any other op that does that. Costs a little more, but it is well worth it.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having a tough time trying to stay faithful to their dive op! Soooo many temptations on the island. Stop flaunting it guys!!!

I just got caught cheating...:confused:

When I dive with Aldora I don't pay a premium to have longer bottom time. I pay a premium to dive south of Palancar EVERY day. I don't know of any other op that does that. Costs a little more, but it is well worth it.
Two things: The op I dive with takes the boat south of Palancar every time the divers request it and conditions permit it, and there is plenty of great diving to be had north of the southern end of Palancar.

Two things: The op I dive with takes the boat south of Palancar every time the divers request it and conditions permit it, and there is plenty of great diving to be had north of the southern end of Palancar.
like I said,I don't know of any other op that does that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom