Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think details on what I wrote are getting lost by some readers.

I dive with operators that allow people to stray from the group, but stay within visual distance. Some may surface at different times, but it is still a group drift dive.

Someone posted: "roll in, do as you please, pop your sausage when you surface, and the boat will pick you up."

Again, I would not want to dive with an operator that allows this on drift dives. If this is some kind of unofficial treatment to specialized guests, I'd still prefer not to be on that boat.

This may well demonstrate how the various shops meet the needs of various divers and their demographics. I'll keep this discussion in mind when praising or criticizing a dive experience. What I may love might be horrible for someone else. All in all, rest assured I suspect some might prefer you not on their boat either. Glad we all find the styles of diving we enjoy.

(Disclosure: No horse in the race as I'm not affiliated with any shop beyond surface interval friendship)

Cheers,
Cameron

This may well demonstrate how the various shops meet the needs of various divers and their demographics. I'll keep this discussion in mind when praising or criticizing a dive experience. What I may love might be horrible for someone else. All in all, rest assured I suspect some might prefer you not on their boat either. Glad we all find the styles of diving we enjoy.

(Disclosure: No horse in the race as I'm not affiliated with any shop beyond surface interval friendship)

Cheers,
Cameron
Yes, good for divers to have choices and I am sure some do not want to dive with me.

I did dive several days on a boat similar to what we are talking about. 2 lionfish hunters with slings, 1 photographer, my wife and I, plus the DM. Hunters hunted, photo guy took pictures. I shot video but my wife and I stayed within visual of the DM. The DM was not leading, DM just tried to stay centralized and let the hunters hunt and the photog shoot pics.

Several times the hunters and photog strayed out of visual from the DM. The DM and us anchored in the current, panning a light for signaling purposes and waited minutes for them. If this happened once or twice over several days of diving, fine. Every dive, every day ? No thank you. I don't want to be on that boat with those divers again.

Your mistake was to anchor yourselves. The others were drifting along in the same current and had no reason to stop. As soon as you stopped you drastically increased the distance between the groups. They were obviously comfortable divers if they were hunting and photoing. They probably had figured out the speed of the group and would have joined back up when ready. You changed the speed to zero and caused the separation to increase. If they were truly lost divers you should have surfaced after looking for the agreed upon number of minutes as discussed in your predive briefing.

Your mistake was to anchor yourselves. The others were drifting along in the same current and had no reason to stop. As soon as you stopped you drastically increased the distance between the groups. They were obviously comfortable divers if they were hunting and photoing. They probably had figured out the speed of the group and would have joined back up when ready. You changed the speed to zero and caused the separation to increase. If they were truly lost divers you should have surfaced after looking for the agreed upon number of minutes as discussed in your predive briefing.

You're making a lot of assumptions without having been on the dive. How do you know the hunters did not stop to shoot a lionfish ? How do you know the photog did not stop to take a picture ?

The DM anchored because the hunters and photog were no longer in site. So we anchored as well, next to the DM. Are you suggesting we leave the anchored DM and let the current take us ?

Speaking of briefing, the divers are supposed to stay within visual of the DM. The hunters and solo photo guy did not.

Last edited:
You're making a lot of assumptions without having been on the dive. How do you know the hunters did not stop to shoot a lionfish ? How do you know the photog did not stop to take a picture ?

The DM anchored because the hunters and photog were no longer in site. So we anchored as well, next to the DM. Are you suggesting we leave the anchored DM and let the current take us ?

Speaking of briefing, the divers are supposed to stay within visual of the DM. The hunters and solo photo guy did not.
It would make a difference if the strayed divers were ahead of you or behind you in the current flow; it appears that the DM thought they were behind you. On a wall dive it's a pretty good bet that they would come by your position soon.

I have never been diving off the coast in Florida, but I have been told that in those locations the DM stays on the (anchored) boat and tells the divers to meet at the boat within some specified time.

...I have never been diving off the coast in Florida, but I have been told that in those locations the DM stays on the (anchored) boat and tells the divers to meet at the boat within some specified time.

Diving in the upper keys is mostly moored. Some operators have a DM in the water and others don't. There is usually a maximum dive time

Reef diving in SE Florida is predominantly drift diving. A few operators have a DM in the water with a flag, many don't. Other groups or individual divers carry their own flag. There is usually a maximum dive time, but not always. Groups or individuals ascend on their own flag when the dive is done. Some of the wreck dives have a temporary line and float(s) attached by a DM or one of the customers. Divers can use the line for descent and then ascent, last one down, often designated, unhooks. Some of the wreck dives, particularly multiple wrecks, are drift dives

It would make a difference if the strayed divers were ahead of you or behind you in the current flow; it appears that the DM thought they were behind you. ......

Since we had to wait, I thought my post made it clear that the DM and us were in front of them.

Several times the hunters and photog strayed out of visual from the DM. The DM and us anchored in the current, panning a light for signaling purposes and waited minutes for them....

I am all for diver freedom, as long as it does not impact others. IMHO, these guys were being selfish and did not care how their diving style affected others. I shoot video and frequently am at the back of the group. I make a conscious effort to stay within visual vicinity of the group and not make people stop and wait for me. Even if it means I lose the shot.

Last edited:

I assumed they were out in front of you not behind. Sorry my mistake. Were you able to see their bubbles? Were they together as a trio or were they all scattered?

I assumed they were out in front of you not behind. Sorry my mistake. Were you able to see their bubbles? Were they together as a trio or were they all scattered?
Out of visual meaning their bubbles too. They were scattered, which made it even more frustrating because it made us wait until all 3 rejoined the group.

They live on the island part of the year and obviously have a special relationship with the operator and DM. Nice guys topside. I would not mind meeting for drinks or dinner, but don't want to be on a boat with them again.

I would not want to dive with an operator that does this on drift dives. Safety aside, the boat will be spending a lot of time going all over the place finding and picking up divers. Even with a 6 pack and buddy pairs, that is 3 pairs diving and surfacing who knows where.
The dive club I dive with does a trip to Brockville Ontario once a year. Last trip we had 22 divers on the boat. We get separated just trying to get in the water. By the time the last ones get in the first ones are long gone. the current is fast, and they don't have DMs up there. We end up all over the place. It's fun!

Back
Top Bottom