Alkin W31 Oil leak question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Alkin W31 has developed a leak on the top of the second stage, it seems to be coming out around the valve. It is very fine or small, can tell as the film of oil collected dust.

There is an o ring on the valve, and an Alkin service man told me it may be the o ring leaking.

My question is, should there be oil up in the top of the stage where the valve is to begin with?

I took it apart, took the valve out, and there where some drops of oil in there.

Wondering if this is more than an o ring issue?

Compressor is six years old, but only has 225 hours on it.

Just a couple of thoughts: Porous castings? Seepage around bolt-down threads?

It appears to be radiating from the valve. Is it a problem that there is oil in the top of the stage? Or is this normal.

I do have a new O ring coming.

I will upload some photos later this evening.

Just a couple of thoughts: Porous castings? Seepage around bolt-down threads?

Here are some pictures of the discharge valve and top of second stage. Kind of hard to see the leakage, but you can see smudge print and dust clinging.

I want to fix it, but am I stressing over nothing or do you think there may be a bigger problem?

Cant really see much oil on the valve head. Perhaps you cleaned it up? Nonetheless, there should be a copper gasket under the acorn nut. This keeps air (and oil) from seeping around the tension screw threads. A faulty o-ring (on the exhaust valve cover) could potentially facilitate oil/air seepage, as well. Oil on top of the piston could be considered normal...just depends on the amount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom