All about the backup regulator necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3:
I'll bet some folks are still running 2 second stages off of 1 first stage.

Yes, but still there's no octopus. You breath from primary 2nd stage and backup 2nd stage is bungied around your neck.

Bob3:
I'll bet some folks are still running 2 second stages off of 1 first stage.
Ok, I'm going out on a limb here and guessing Bob3's an old fart like me. :)

Yes, the first stage "octopus" still exists because it has a bunch of hoses coming off of it, but the mis-named "2nd stage octopus" (which, through mis-usage, implies that it's donated in an OOA situation) doesn't exist in DIR.

Was that your point? :)

Roak

All this talk about octopus is making me hungree! Sushi anyone. You guys are hung up on the semantics of the word. The DIR police will not break down your door in the middle of the night and steal you BP if you say the word Octopus. Despite what Trey says it should be called.

Just my 1/2 cent

Later~

I use Method # 2 with 2 knots under the ziptie with 1/4" shock cord that I bought from an outdoors store. It took me 10 min to set it up and was done. It costs $1.12 a foot so all in all, it cost me a little under $3.00. Enjoy.

MAK52580:
I use Method # 2 with 2 knots under the ziptie with 1/4" shock cord that I bought from an outdoors store. It took me 10 min to set it up and was done. It costs $1.12 a foot so all in all, it cost me a little under $3.00. Enjoy.

$1.12/ft for shockcord? It should be about $0.25/ft for 1/4" at a marine supply store.

Hey guys I'm new to this site and have been reading alot of the post. I went to work today and was talking to a friend who also dives about the shock cord necklace. He brought up a good question, has anyone got hung up on the necklace and did you have the presents of mind to cut the cord? Would'nt surgical tubing be better because you could just stretch it out and break it? And where the heck can i get DIR certified in Rhode Island?

A) It's not a hard connection (ie - it's not metal to metal).

B) It's almost impossible to get entangled in something - it's snug around your neck and thusly protected by your mask/head on one side and your shoulders on the other.

C) If you don't have the "presents of mind to cut the cord" you have bigger problems than a simple entanglement issue. Just do yourself a favour and stay on the boat

D) For DIR training, there are a number of excellent GUE instructors who will come to you if you have enough people to put together a class, or a number of existing classes in the New England area... check the GUE website.

I chose to make my "necklace" out of really thin gauge rubber elastic tubing (black). It streaches about 3 ft and sits under my chin while diving. Most people with a little practice can grab the reg with no hands and then clear and breathe from it.
Never had a probelm with getting hung up on it as it is around my neck and I'm not usually sticking my head close to anything that I could possibly get hung up on. Also if you pull sharply on my backup reg it will "break away" from the bungee.

Sorrry if this is off topic but do most of you "tune down" your backup second stage to prevent freeflow ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom