All hail the Anemone King!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AleG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took this picture in Koh Tao last August, using a Canon G11 and stock Canon housing.
I like the attitude of the fish.

AnemoneKing2.jpg

I'm in the process of getting an external strobe so I can get rid of the backscatter on my photos.

I love this shot!! I'd have to get photoshop on the backscatter, but the subject stole 100% of my attention and I didn't even notice the backscatter at first...

Whatcha lookin at Willis! Huh!

Great shot!

Beautiful Shot. Here's a quick 5min Photoshop Edit. "Hope you don't mind, I'm kind of bored on my sick Friday night indoors :( "

AnemoneKing2PSEDIT.jpg

Very nice shot!

Thanks for the comments, very appreciated.

There was some severe bleaching on the reefs around Koh Tao at that time (actually it was recovering from an even worse state), so many anemones where mostly white with a few completely bleached. I liked how the Pink Anemonefish looked in that setting so I spent a good amount of time looking at them and taking pictures.

The backscatter on your photo would be relatively easy to remove in Photoshop.

Here is a tutorial that describes the technique I use. It uses dust & scratches filter, combined with the history brush. It's very selective and produces awesome result.

Backscatter Removal - Photoshop Magic Tools for the Underwater Photographer

Have fun! Show us your results :D

Yes, I could had removed with Photoshop or other programs (I like to use Lightroom and Corel PhotoPaint myself), but I'm not a big fan of "doctoring" images. Adjust levels, colours, contrast and stuff yes, but actually removing or altering elements is something I prefer not to do. Although the small particles are not really a big deal... let's chalk it up to laziness then. :)

I'm not a big fan of "doctoring" images. Adjust levels, colours, contrast and stuff yes, but actually removing or altering elements is something I prefer not to do. Although the small particles are not really a big deal... let's chalk it up to laziness then. :)
It's funny, because I pretty much agree with you, but I consider photos whose "real" color has been adjusted more "doctored" than those with backscatter removed. My logic is that my naked eye would not discern the backscatter; it is a strobe-generated effect. Of course, so is all the color on the red end of the spectrum. Nice photo, by the way. I have taken some interesting photos during bleaching events myself, but they are always a depressing reminder of the punishment the reefs are taking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom