All inclusive bahamas dive resort? Such a monster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPT HOOK:
Wyndham Fortune Beach Resort on Grand Bahama.
Their all-inclusive includes everything BUT diving. They do have a dive shop there. I used an outside shop after seeing their dive boat.

The ones I know of are the Wynham Fortume Beach on Grand Bahama Island, and the Breezes on Turks & Caicos.

TOM

You know another thing you could do is to stay at whatever resort you like. Pick one that has more of what your wifey likes to do. Then find out what dive operator the resort works with and negotiate a package of dives for your vacation.

TOM

I haven't stayed at the Sandals in the Bahamas, but I've stayed at the one in Jamaica. Considering it had been quite a while since I had been wet at the time, I didn't mind the extra handholding and "assume they know nothing" attitude I found. It would drive me nuts now.

That said, I'm taking my wife back and am looking forward to her getting some of her first dives under her belt there. Very easy dives, nothing challenging. Perfect for the beginner or someone who doesn't dive much.

Sandals was a lot of fun, but with regard to diving, I'll note this: It's not a dive vacation, it's a vacation that has a little diving as a sideline. (Great for my wife at the time, less so for me) It seemed poorly integrated to the rest of their schedule, for one thing: The dives left early enough that there was little time to scarf breakfast and run, and they returned just AFTER lunch, and too late to join in many of the other activities. Seems like when I was diving, I was very much doing something outside of the mainstream of the rest of the resort.

It was a lot of fun, though, in spite of all that. :)

Bear in mind, my experience at Sandals Montego Bay (Jamaica) may or may not have any bearing on your experience at a different Sandals elsewhere.

Brian and I stayed (and got married) at the Sandals in the Bahamas. The resort was amazing and well worth the money. If I could afford to go more often I would. I have heard the one in St. Lucia is second to none! If you have the luxury and flexibility of when you can or can't go, they periodically offer up to 50% off their normal rates at certain times of the year. Also, if you go, there are two restaurants that are a must. One is Baccarat and it is by far the best. The Crystal Room is also wonderful. But both require reservations. So if they allow you to reserve a table before you arrive, I strongly suggest doing so as it was almost impossible to get a reservation within a day or two.

The diving was a different story. Unfortunately we did not have a good experience. In a word, terrible. The dive sites were so-so. The staff at the on-site dive shop were completely rude when I signed up and hassled me because we had our own dive gear. :confused: Most of the divers were resort type of divers, had no clue what they were doing and just played follow the leader. The DM was an absolute idiot. He was leading divers on a rushed yo-yo dive with ascents that were down right dangerous. Then he proceeded to yell at Brian and I once we surfaced because we were always on the outside of the group and didn't do the the yo-yo with him. With the exception of the yo-yo's we were with the group but he said that other divers were following us thinking that we were leading the dive. Gee...I wonder why. Guess you had to have been there to get how bad it was....I was just amazed that he was a DM.

We also dove with Stuarts Cove and had a blast. Not only were they well organized and professional but the dive sites were wonderful.

Enjoy yourself!

I think that when you try to mix a dive vacation with a regular vacation you get the worst of both worlds.

If you can afford it - do a dive vacation and if need be do a non-dive vacation. Makes everyone happier.

DeputyDan:
I think that when you try to mix a dive vacation with a regular vacation you get the worst of both worlds.

Can't agree with that....Sandals, Superclubs, etc. are GREAT "regular" vacations, and the diving can be pretty good, too (Breezes Curacao).

My wife and I stayed a week at the Fotuna Beach resort. The resort is NOT a high star-rated resort. It has one, maybe two resturants (and the second was at cost). It was a pleasant stay but not one that was grand. The resort uses tiny cups, so if you choose it take some big ones from home and use then in the buffet and bar.

The hotel is a long distance from town, it takes a taxi or long bike ride if going to town is important to you.

The dive boat was a pontoon style and yes the dive shop is also at cost.

We would go again, but just wanted you to know what to expect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom