All signs point to DCS, but it's not...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think DCS is only on my radar due to previous experience with paralysis, and over-reading of horror stories in the Accidents/Incidents forums. I now stay out of accidents, and just read analysis. I find it is useful to know what can go wrong, and what people have done to keep themselves safe. Less useful to read continual stories of how people die, because I know overall- that is a very small number. I mean, I'm not worried about ear problems or lung problems, and I think (especially ear) those are way more likely.
. . .

When I got certified (1998), I wasn't aware of Scubaboard (if it existed) or any other forums or even the existence of local dive clubs. I was blissfully ignorant. I hadn't read or heard a single story about someone getting hurt. Sure, a little more info than what the PADI book and my instructor told me would have been useful. But is there perhaps such a thing as doing TOO much independent research? From what I can tell from this thread and others, you are WAY ahead of what most new divers look into as they complete their OW course and head out to their first dive experience. No intent whatsoever to diminish your enthusiasm or criticize genuine concerns you have, but RELAX.

Some posters have said tongue-in-cheek that if you read Scubaboard enough, you will develop the impression that "everything will kill you."

Something interesting to read might be old timers' accounts of how they used to dive in the '50s and '60s. You will be shocked (I was) at how, despite what in hindsight seem like primitive equipment and sketchy dive planning, most of them managed to survive.

No, they thought nitrox was fine; he didn't think it was worth it to do if I was sticking with air profiles, because it really wasn't proven to reduce risk (since risk is already so small) and added an extra level of something to worry about. They believe the point of nitrox is bottom time, and if you don't want that, it is just an added expense.

If you are indeed planning to do all your diving above 60 feet, then nitrox really doesn't do all that much for you, at least on normal recreational dives. Its real value for the recreational diver lies between 60-120 feet. I also agree with your instructor about there not being enough benefit to diving nitrox on air tables to warrant the expense. As I said above, the odds of anyone getting DCS at the depths and times you are planning are incredibly small.

Odd that your shop only allows the snorkel swim. My husband usually prefers students to do the regular swim, because he finds its a little more difficult and helps to show comfort in the water, for most students.
You may find scuba isn't for you but at least you can feel good for sticking it out and doing something you never tried before.

Odd that your shop only allows the snorkel swim. My husband usually prefers students to do the regular swim, because he finds its a little more difficult and helps to show comfort in the water, for most students.
You may find scuba isn't for you but at least you can feel good for sticking it out and doing something you never tried before.

They didn't tell me their reasoning, they just told me they never offer the other option.

When it was clear I wasn't going to make it more than 10 feet at a time with a snorkel in my mouth, they let me do the regular swim. I offered to swim 300 yds instead of 200 yds if it was because they wanted the longer distance, but they said 200 yd was the standard. I'm totally comfortable in the water, just not comfortable breathing from a snorkel! (Give me a regulator, and let me keep it in my mouth, and I'm great.) I'm just such a nose breather, though I'm okay with in through the mouth out through the nose.

I was really really proud of myself when I went back the next month that I did the whole snorkel swim, it's definitely getting better.

I know a number of students who only do the snorkel swim. Like me, they have never had a student fail the regular swim, and they can tell after about 20 seconds in the pool that the students can swim, so the swim requirement is a waste of valuable pool time for them. Instead, they prefer to have the students do the longer swim with snorkel and fins because it takes about the same time and gives the students some experience using the equipment. Many students have only limited snorkel and fin experience. By having the students do it this way instead of the regular swim, they feel that the students are getting something out of the experience rather than just wasting time.

Hi!

So, of course, you should be a member of DAN. That gives you a professional opinion just a phone call away!

As to the rest:

Anxiety is often considered a contraindicator for diving, because underwater panic is so dangerous! Statistically, though, anxiety disorders are quite common, and it's reasonable to assume that many divers do dive with these conditions (even if one assumes that many anxious people self-select away from diving). We live in a culture that stigmatizes this, and it often seems that this goes double in the diving community.

This is fir a good reason. Please consider that your own safety is on the line, but ALSO that diving with any condition like this can put your buddy at risk too. Panicked divers are dangerous. You have a responsibility to those you dive with to (a) inform them and (b) to ensure you have prepared properly to minimize your risk.

In your favour is the fact that you, through lived experience rather than theory, know what panic feels like and know that it passes. You hopefully know what the very beginning of panic feels like. It's all about catching it at that point.

I, too, have had anxiety issues in the past and I have dived without major incident. I have felt the start of anxiety a couple of times: when narced at depth for the first time, and another time when exhausted at 35m in strong current overbreathing my reg. Because I know what anxiety feels like when it starts to build, I caught it very early both times, signaled my buddy, stopped, calmed myself, and continued.

Some tips that I think are good.

Be super duper conscientious about practicing good buddy and team skills at all times.

Practice a sign for 'I'm feeling dodgy' and a protocol for this with your buddy. Having someone there to make eye contact with you and even hold your hand while you collect yourself might make the world of difference.

Use the boat ride out to get very present and calm.

If you can, take some time in the water to get very zen. You are about to enter a calm world. Slow your breathing and relax your body. Be zen before you head down.

If you feel anxiety coming on, slow your breathing and in particular be sure to exhale fully. You have enough air coming in. What you want to do is make sure you are getting rid of your CO 2.

Throughout the dive, keep checking yourself frequently and relax, relax, relax.

Build up slowly, as you mention you are doing. Dive in benign conditions for your first 20 dives at least. New divers are task loaded already and as such are more prone to panic. There is no hurry. Build up slow and enjoy each step.

Be committed to skills. Practice your drills each dive. Accept nothing less than personal excellence with skills, trim and buoyancy, and buddy skills.

Stop exhaling through your nose. If you do get anxious, this is a bad habit. You can expel air faster through the mouth to get rid of CO2. Also, if you get a head cold you are toast. You will notice divers often come up with a fair bit of gunk coming out of their noses due to pressure and the sinuses etc. breathing out through your nose will make for a messy experience in more ways than one. Please make unlearning this bad habit of yours a priority. Bad headaches and so on after a dive are often a sign that you aren't breathing properly and are retaining CO2. Retaining CO2 will often lead to panic as it is a signal that the body interprets as 'I'm not getting enough air'. See if fixing your breathing helps with the symptoms you are experiencing also.

Happy bubbles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom